Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes J3 Cub Coverite questions

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes J3 Cub Coverite questions

Old 12-30-2019, 05:29 PM
Prboz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes J3 Cub Coverite questions

Hi Everyone, Hope you all had a great Xmas and Santa brought everything you wanted.

I have just bought a Great Planes J3 cub covered in Coverite and was wondering what is the best way to get any wrinkles out of the film?

Also is it possible to do the stencils with the windex method I have done before with Monocote? Some of the letters are missing.

thanks for your help. Have a great New Years.

Prboz.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:41 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Prboz, The Coverite cloth covering will heat shrink with your heat gun, just like Monocote, however be careful using a heat iron as the paint in the covering will melt and want to stick to your iron if the temp is too high. Start with low heat with both the gun and iron till you get to the sweet spot on temp settings. Yes, you can use the Windex method for installing the decals or stickers. The G.P. Coverite covered J-3 Cub ARF has been discontinued in the USA for quite some time but is a great flying model. At one time G.P. also covered them with Solartex before they were finally discontinued. Tower Hobbies brought the same ARF back to market as the "Tower Hobbies J-3 Cub", but they were covered with unidentified regular shiny heat shrink covering, not cloth (it may be Ultra Cote, not sure). The Tower version has now also been discontinued. This Cub is not the most scale accurate Cub model ever offered, but is one the best flying of the many 1/5 th scale J-3 ARFs ever. They look like a Cub and fly like a Cub with some of the bad manners reduced. I have both the Coverite and Solartex covered versions (they are a different shade of Cub yellow) in service and flying and a Tower Hobbies version unbuilt still in the box. I also have a 1/5 th Hanger 9 and 1/5 th Thunder Tiger J-3 ARF and the Great Planes ARF is the best flyer. Hope you enjoy yours.

Last edited by 52larry52; 01-04-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-04-2020, 08:00 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Prboz, Now that you have me thinking about this model, here are some extra hints. Before heat shrinking the covering on the wings be sure to firmly iron down the covering on the wing tips. Get the covering on the vertical edge of the tips well stuck down as the covering will want to pull off the tips if you shrink the main area first. Next, be aware that the wing struts are known to come apart where the flex joint is at each end. These are just CA hinges like you use in control surfaces and will pull apart after a while in use. Add extra CA glue to them and pin them with toothpicks. If you don't do this, they will one day fail in flight and the struts are functional, do not fly this plane without them. Happy landings!
Old 01-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Prboz

Thanks 52Larry52 your comments are much appreciated.

Prboz