Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Propeller Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Propeller Question

Old 01-18-2020, 08:07 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller Question

If I wanted to have counter rotating props on a electric powered twin engine plane, both Props rotating into the fuselage when looking from the front, reversing the wires on one of the motors, do I use a Normal Rotating Prop on one side and a Pusher Prop on the other side? And correct me if I am wrong, Normal Rotating Props on Electric Powered Planes is Counter clockwise and Reverse would be Clockwise and I would use the pusher prop?
Old 01-18-2020, 08:49 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather then a pusher prop, you would want a matching set of clockwise and counterclockwise props. A pusher is still designed to rotate counterclockwise. I suggest looking through the APC website to find a set of props that will suit your motors size and KV rating.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:29 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Exactly what speedracer said. The clockwise will probably be designated CW, and the counter-clockwise will be CCW... or something very similar to that.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:35 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Let me give an example; Master Airscrew Lists 3 Bladed Props: 10X5 & 10X7 in normal CCW Rotation and they also offer 10X5 & 10X7 in what they call 'REV/PUSHER' https://www.masterairscrew.com/collections/3-blade/10 ;can I assume that if I got both types in either size to use in a forward facing twin engine counter rotating configuration it would work?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:24 AM
A. J. Clark

If you use a pusher prop to push or pull it's still running in the same direction . The direction it was designed for.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:21 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

I have several electric twin motor planes. I have it both ways from one plane to the next but I honestly cannot see any difference between the counter-rotating ones and those that both turn the same direction. The point is, unless you just have to have them counter-rotate, it really isn't necessary.

Same direction: Hangar 9 B-25; Hangar 9 Twin Otter, Phoenix Models A-26

Counter rotating: Flightline P-38 (2 of them), FMS Grumman Tigercat