Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

landing gear

Old 07-15-2020, 02:50 PM
mikemscott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing gear

1/3 scale gear, what is the best soldering iron and tip to use? thank you mikemscott
Old 07-15-2020, 05:00 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 07-17-2020, 07:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For a 1/3 scale gear you'll probably need a torch. You can go with a pencil torch powered by butane (less heat, so less chance of overheating) or a plumbing torch with a propane bottle. It's easy to burn the flux with the plumbing torch, but also easy enough to control your heat with distance from the flame.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:22 AM
mikemscott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you sir, also have you done the 1/3 scale landing from balsa usa, if so im almost there but the last little bit has me stumped. thank you mikemscott
Old 07-25-2020, 11:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't soldered up a gear that big before. I've done .40 and .60 size wire gears. Most of my soldering experience is plumbing, which I did for about 2 years. If you haven't soldered before, it would be very much in your best interest to jig up some scrap wire and get a feel for how to do it. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing good technique. The look you want is for the solder to flow into the wires so you can still make them out with no glops or balls. Also, solder that has stuck properly will have a frosted appearance, not shiny. If you get it right, you'll have a trouble free gear that will never come apart. Getting it wrong looks close to the same, but will result in the joints coming apart over time or corroding.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:14 AM
carlgrover

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last time I scratched up some landing gear, I made a tail wheel assembly for a 1/4 scale Skybolt. It was brazed, not soldered.

carl