Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Receiver Battery Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Receiver Battery Question

Old 07-26-2020, 03:31 PM
kneeforu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Battery Question

I have not flown in about 5 years and getting back in to the hobby. In the past, I had used 4.8v nicd receiver batteries. The batteries are old and I want to replace them with new, but I am wondering now, what are the best batteries for receivers? Should I switch to nimh, and if so, would I need a new charger for those as well?

Receiver is the Futaba R617FS. Standard servo setup on Venus II

Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by kneeforu; 07-26-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If the charger is the standard wall charger that comes with the transmitter/receiver it will probably charge the NiMH but will take quite a while since they are typically higher capacity than NiCd. My NiMH are 2500 MAH and when fully discharged take over two hours with a good multi-battery type, 1 Amp charge rate charger.

Batteries America used to carry a lot of replacement batteries of all types for low prices. Battery chargers, OTOH, opens a whole new can of worms. Some will tell you to spend hundreds of dollars on one. I think you can get a decent Imax for around $50 that will charge/discharge/balance any battery type you will use.. I have an old Hobbymate I have been using for over 20 years. I've done LIPOs, LIONs, NiCds, NiMHs, and even PBs. It will take a 6 cell LIPO and at least a 8 cell NiMH.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:48 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kneeforu View Post
I have not flown in about 5 years and getting back in to the hobby. In the past, I had used 4.8v nicd receiver batteries. The batteries are old and I want to replace them with new, but I am wondering now, what are the best batteries for receivers? Should I switch to nimh, and if so, would I need a new charger for those as well?

Receiver is the Futaba R617FS. Standard servo setup on Venus II

Thanks!

Bill
Your regular wall charger is fine for nimh packs, just charge over night like you did with nicd packs,, the wall charger will be fine for both 4.8 or 6.0 volt packs

Now when you do think about going to another chemistry like Lipo or Life you'll need a different charger and a lot depends on the size of packs and how long you want to wait

Personally I've switched to Life/A123 RX packs,, I use both 1100 and 2500 packs and charge with a Cellpro Multi-4,, typically iy only takes 10-15 minutes to peak out a pack and you're ready to go

good luck
Old 07-27-2020, 09:12 AM
carlgrover

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made the switch to the Life/A123s as well. Nicds like we used years ago aren't made anywhere as good as they used to be. I was only getting a couple of years out of a pack and that was a good one. Go to hangtimehobbies.com and read up about A123s. The Hitec charger they sell is perfect for charging as well. I charge my batteries AFTER i'm done flying for the day then they are ready to go for next time even if that is a few months down the road.

carl
Old 07-29-2020, 05:52 AM
ziggy138

Default Batteries

Go to LiFe battery, more voltage, faster and stronger servo response, and hold charge for long time. Also LiFe do require a different charger., there are plenty of multi battery chargers out there and some are priced under $ 40.00 and work well with all types of batteries. Also start out with higher voltage and fly all day and still have more than 4.8 volt and no worries about loss of receiver voltage. Win win with LiFe battery, plus less weight too.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:07 AM
kneeforu

Thank you all. Great information. Much appreciated!