Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Using one battery on a gas plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Using one battery on a gas plane

Old 11-07-2020, 03:58 PM
katman74
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using one battery on a gas plane

Can I use one lipo or life battery to power my plane and gas equine. G62 with electronic ignition. It call for 6 volts.
Hitec servos thru out, not digital
Old 11-07-2020, 09:27 PM
tedsander

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Use a LiFe only. A LiPo will be too "hot" (high voltage) for the receivers/servos. But a LiFe, while pushing the voltage a bit, is fine with the radio gear. Also get a Tech Aero IBEC (Ultra IBEC - Tech-Aero Designs LLC). Besides being a great ignition switch, and fantastic RF isolator, it has an in-line voltage regulator, so you can make sure the voltage going to the ignition never exceeds the 6v.
My 40cc with 5 high torque servos gets about 8 12-14 min. flights from a 2400 mah pack. Of course, your mileage may vary a lot from mine....
Old 11-08-2020, 01:37 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't need the IBEC to run the system. I have successfully used a single battery to run the radio system and the ignition system and a stabilizer as well. Drains the battery pretty fast, but zero operation issues. That being said, dual battery systems are still a good idea and what most people use.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:54 AM
tedsander

He didn't specify what the electronic ignition system was, except that it was 6v. Having burned up one of mine (not at all the same engine) with over volts, I recommended the IBEC out of an abundance of caution. It may be that it can handle a LiFe without issue. Something to check with the mfg. about.
At minimum, an optical kill switch (or the IBEC) controlled by the TX is mandatory for safety.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A servo operated choke is fine for a kill switch as well. Neither is mandated by the AMA for safe operation, only a manual switch.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:05 PM
tedsander

Some engines will continue to run if fully choked. A simple switch on the plane would work, but is less accessible than a control on the TX, etc. "Mandatory" was meant to emphasis it being a best practice for safety, not to claim there was a requirement by a higher authority....
Old 11-08-2020, 07:20 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I personally would never run a gas engine without a transmitter activated kill switch. I have seen to many throttle servo failures to not want a positive way to shut down the engine at a moments notice. The Tech Aero IBEC is a great suggestion and I have been using them for the last 8 years.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I would have to agree as well, a positive way to shut down the engine is a must have. I've had the throttle linkage fail while one of my nitro boats was running, resulting in having to run in circles until the tank was empty. Had it happened on a plane, there's no telling where it would have ended up as it took over 5 minutes of doing donuts in the middle of the pond before it finally quit and that was after running a mile(5 laps) race plus the prerace warm up and jockeying with other boats.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a 3D yak setup with idle on the throttle trim and a switch to activate a mix to pull it closed.

I was at a big 3D event with people lined up 3 deep at each flight station to fly and my throttle linkage went at maybe 1/3 throttle. I flew in circles for nearly 40 minutes waiting for it to run out of gas and dead stick while getting glared at from everyone waiting to fly. I get my balls busted about it to this day.

After that, electronic kill switches in all my gas engine setups, now mostly Tech Aero IBEC's

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 11-09-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:57 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I fly a 70" profile with a dle20. I use one 3000mah 2 cell Life to run it all. After 4 flights I have about 50% battery life left. I do run two switches. The battery pack has 2 servo leads so I just run one to each switch. There are many many variables. So if you go this route be sure and check you battery life every flight till you get a feel for the life of the charge.
I don't run a electronic kill switch. It's not a bad idea. I too have flown a plane for 20 minutes waiting for the fuel to run out. I would say there is not a lot of room in a profile for extra parts, but only one of my other 4 gassers has a kill switch. If I flew at events or contest it would be different.

David
Old 11-10-2020, 06:02 AM
sensei

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I am setting up an airplane 50cc gas or bigger, I run a power safe receiver, two 7.4V lipos, a Tech Aero ibec, and high torque HV servos, but thatís just me.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 11-10-2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:25 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sensei View Post
If I am setting up an airplane 50cc gas or bigger, I run a power safe receiver, two 7.4V lipos, a Tech Aero ibec, and high torque HV servos, but thatís just me.

Bob
Pretty much the same here, dual batteries with two inputs into the RX. Last few I have incorporated Zepsus magnetic switches. No more switches mounted external and the failure mode is in the On position.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:54 AM
sensei

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Pretty much the same here, dual batteries with two inputs into the RX. Last few I have incorporated Zepsus magnetic switches. No more switches mounted external and the failure mode is in the On position.
Nice!

Bob