Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro stabilization for homemade RC airplane questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro stabilization for homemade RC airplane questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 08:12 PM
zflyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro stabilization for homemade RC airplane questions

I’m looking to create a stabilization system for an RC airplane to make it easier to fly. I’m using arduino with an MPU6050. I plan on creating a PID controller on all three axis’s. I was wondering how to go about this. Would it make sense to make a controller that stabilizes the plane at zero degrees of pitch and roll but allows user inputs to pass through(not sure what to do about yaw since it wouldn’t make sense to keep that at zero degrees) or should I create a PID controller that stabilizes the plane at zero angular rotation? If I stabilize it at zero degrees pitch and roll it will always try to keep the plane flat and level which seems nice, but I’m not sure if that’s the best way to go about it. Any tips? Also how should I go about choosing gain values?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:25 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless you are dead set on creating your own, you can save yourself a lot of confusion and frustration with one of the very affordable gyro options already available. That's what I would do but that's just me.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:45 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, you're getting into some complicated programming to create something that actually does make the plane fly better. All the systems I know of act like rate gyros; they just resist uncommanded changes in attitude.