Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Install

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Tank Install

Old 12-02-2020, 09:29 AM
Britflier

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Install

Are there any known problems when installing a tank sideways (90 degrees to the
direction the engine is pointing). This is for a fixed wing semi scale plane.
I can fit a bigger tank if it fits sideways.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:31 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Some of the Top Flite scale kits have the fuel tank mounted sideways. Most helicopters I have flown do as well, never an issue. I would however suggest that is you go forward with this idea that you use a felt clunk and have it located in the center of the tank.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:24 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't sound like you are going to have a long knife edge with the clunk out of the fuel so no problem.
David
Old 12-06-2020, 08:25 PM
Pylonracr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will state the obvious here. Make sure that when you build the tank you put the vent/pressure line at what is going to be the top of the tank when it is installed in the plane. Simply turning an already assembled tank 90 degrees and installing it will not work very well.

Scott
Old 12-06-2020, 08:42 PM
Britflier

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your comments. Actually I should have made it clearer, that I plan to rotate the tank 90 degrees in the horizontal plane. My main concern is the clunk pickup.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:43 AM
tedsander

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd make the clunk line a bit shorter, so the clunk is closer to the bottom center of the tank rather than one end, just to lessen the chance of picking up air when banking one way. The only other issue will be the external plumbing - making the 90 degree turn to get the fuel line to the engine. The brass tubing should be curved - don't depend on a straight exit and then curving the fuel line. Eventually the brass end will saw through the fuel line, due to vibration.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:15 PM
carlgrover

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me throw something at you that might be a little more appealing that a single tank mounted sideways. Use two tanks mounted traditionally alongside each other. So, if you want to use a 12 oz tank, buy two 6 oz tanks. Plumb the pressure line of tank #1 to the pickup of tank #2. Run the carb line to the pickup of tank #1 and pressurize both of them from the pressure line of tank #2.

carl