Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

So I dusted off my planes the other day...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

So I dusted off my planes the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 05:19 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
All due respect I have been told that several times by you and a few others. What I have yet to see is any of you to show any evidence of a group buying their own liability insurance that covers the property owner.
What proof do you need? I'm not going to show you a copy of the policy. Are we not adult enough here to take one at their word? Are you doubting that most insurance companies won't issue such a policy? What exactly, is your stance?

Astro
Old 01-23-2021, 05:40 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

My stance is that you may very well find an insurance carrier that will issue a policy but at what cost? Would it be economically feasible for a group of say 50 guys to split the premium between them and be price competitive with equal coverage for the property owner that the AMA provides? Note we are talking strictly liability insurance to cover the property owner. I choose 50 guys as an example but choose any number you think appropriate. How may participants would be required until the cost per participant would be competitive?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, let's flip this around and look at it from the other direction:
  • It wasn't an AMA site prior to the complaints of alleged reckless and dangerous flying
  • Since it wasn't an AMA site, how many people flying there were AMA members?
  • How many people flying at that site knew about the AMA and it's "affordable" insurance", other than AMA members?
  • After becoming an AMA site, how many people still flew there and joined the AMA?
If I had been flying there and was told that to continue to do so was contingent of joining a dues required organization, I would have gone someplace else to fly. It wouldn't surprise me of many others doing so as well
Old 01-23-2021, 06:05 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, let's flip this around and look at it from the other direction:
  • It wasn't an AMA site prior to the complaints of alleged reckless and dangerous flying
  • Since it wasn't an AMA site, how many people flying there were AMA members?
  • How many people flying at that site knew about the AMA and it's "affordable" insurance", other than AMA members?
  • After becoming an AMA site, how many people still flew there and joined the AMA?
If I had been flying there and was told that to continue to do so was contingent of joining a dues required organization, I would have gone someplace else to fly. It wouldn't surprise me of many others doing so as well

We both know that there is no way to begin to accurately estimate who was an AMA member and who wasn't. Given that the closest AMA field to this site in 2012 was most likely in Morgan Hill and that was a 45 minute drive without traffic I would guess not many but again no real way to know. I did find this video dated 2014 that shows fairly good participation.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:07 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My stance is that you may very well find an insurance carrier that will issue a policy but at what cost? Would it be economically feasible for a group of say 50 guys to split the premium between them and be price competitive with equal coverage for the property owner that the AMA provides? Note we are talking strictly liability insurance to cover the property owner. I choose 50 guys as an example but choose any number you think appropriate. How may participants would be required until the cost per participant would be competitive?
The club that leases our property is an AMA club, so they enjoy the benefits (insurance) that AMA provides to their affiliated clubs that covers us as the property owner ($1M if I remember correctly, it has been a while since I was secretary/treasurer). That club ALSO went out purchased an additional $1M, separate policy ($1M doesn't go far these days, especially when the ambulance-chasers get involved) that covers us. Said club membership averages 75 or so folks and the additional policy was affordable enough that they did not raise their club dues. Don't quote me, but I believe the premium was well under $1,000.00/year, so, $20.00/year per member in your 50 member scenario. I don't know about you, but I consider $20.00/yr an absolute bargain.

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 01-23-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

We both know that there is no way to begin to accurately estimate who was an AMA member and who wasn't. Given that the closest AMA field to this site in 2012 was most likely in Morgan Hill and that was a 45 minute drive without traffic I would guess not many but again no real way to know. I did find this video dated 2014 that shows fairly good participation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wa-Nlpiw4GE
But how of those normally flew at Morgan Hill prior to the park becoming and AMA site? If someone that normally flew at Morgan Hill now had a closer option that required AMA membership to keep the riff raff out, wouldn't they go there instead?
Old 01-23-2021, 06:28 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
The club that leases our property is an AMA club, so they enjoy the benefits (insurance) that AMA provides to their affiliated clubs that covers us as the property owner ($1M if I remember correctly, it has been a while since I was secretary/treasurer). That club ALSO went out purchased an additional $1M, separate policy ($1M doesn't go far these days, especially when the ambulance-chasers get involved) that covers us. Said club membership averages 75 or so folks and the additional policy was affordable enough that they did not raise their club dues. Don't quote me, but I believe the premium was well under $1,000.00/year, so, $20.00/year per member in your 50 member scenario. I don't know about you, but I consider $20.00/yr an absolute bargain.

Astro

OK, I will give you the benifit of the doubt on that one but it does raise a question. If buying liability insurance to protect the land owner is this affordable then why isn't it happening more frequently?
Old 01-23-2021, 06:39 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
But how of those normally flew at Morgan Hill prior to the park becoming and AMA site? If someone that normally flew at Morgan Hill now had a closer option that required AMA membership to keep the riff raff out, wouldn't they go there instead?

First off if you read through the RGC thread about this site it would appear that going AMA was not a popular decision. Secondly as to how many guys flew at both sites? I can only say one for certain and that one would be yours truly. That being said I don't recall seeing anyone that I had seen at both sites.

That said I suppose knowing the area some would help. Note I said in zero traffic the drive is 45 minutes. The park is located off Hwy 280 about 40 miles south of San Francisco. To drive south to Morgan Hill requires driving right through the heart of Silicon Valley. Along the way you pass the HQ of Apple and HP. Very heavy with traffic. Then you get onto south 101 for 8 miles. During the week that could be a 2 hour drive.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

Time to get this thread back on track.
Broken, how have things gone since your return to flying? Have you tried again or just moved to another site to fly? BTW, I'd love to see your planes, both on the ground and in the air
Old 01-24-2021, 04:13 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

haha,, that guy's probably taking up fishing
Old 01-24-2021, 04:28 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Useless argument about the cheapest place to get insurance deleted.

Thread is closed.

I'll discuss with other admins what, if any, other actions need to be taken regarding those who can't seem to have a polite conversation about anything with each other.