Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Designing a 3D printed RC plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Designing a 3D printed RC plane

Old 02-03-2021, 06:56 AM
TendieDemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Designing a 3D printed RC plane

Hey everyone! I'm a senior aviation engineering student working on his bachelor's thesis and I've decided to build a 3D printed RC plane. Initially I've based my work on a similar paper I've written for a 3D printed plane project, however, as I've started laying out my hardware and designing the shell I've realized that my COM was WAY off and I also no longer have the wing span restriction I've had in the previous paper so I can probably optimize the design better. I will probably have more questions later, but currently I'm looking for general advice on best ways to deal with a relatively heavy airframe, since that's the main disadvantage of 3D printed planes. Currently I have all the hardware I need prepared around a 400W brushless motor. The main requirements of the design are low takeoff and stall speed, ease of control and durability. High top speed is not important and neither is battery economy. Additional carrying capacity for equipment is a big bonus, but not a necessity. Other than that, it can be high wing or low wing, biplane or whatever. I'm not quite new to RC but I haven't built a plane since I was 13 so I'm rediscovering a lot of things somewhat lol.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Thinking about programming the plane to use flaparons as well. Anything important I should know in regards of that?

Last edited by TendieDemon; 02-03-2021 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:55 AM
rgburrill

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Thingiverse.com. Some interesting ideas, some way out ideas, some useful ideas.
The following users liked this post:
TendieDemon (02-03-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:49 AM
jester_s1

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

3D printed planes are inferior to the traditional methods in every possible way- weight, durability, appearance, time, strength/stiffness, and so on. The only plus is that they are only marginally harder to build than a foamy. Anyone who knows basic structural engineering can explain why.

So is the project requirement that you use 3D printing to make something? Or are you just looking to use a cool new tech to do the project?

As for flapperons, to be honest, you should have textbooks that can explain that with much greater detail than we can provide here.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:12 PM
TendieDemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, 3D printed construction is a requirement
Old 02-13-2021, 12:52 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you thought about buying a profile foamie or plans for a larger profile plane and printing the parts? This is the direction I would go.

David
Old 02-13-2021, 07:41 PM
jester_s1

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

There are some 3D printed planes out there. I've heard they are pretty rickety, but if you examine them you can at least see something that sort of works.

As for your design goals, a high aspect ratio wing and lots of power is going to be the ticket.You might be able to make an undercambered airfoil work, but understand that the stall characteristics will be more temperamental.