Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Forward programming spektrum AR631 reciever

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Forward programming spektrum AR631 reciever

Old 03-31-2021, 02:40 PM
ts_flyby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward programming spektrum AR631 reciever

I have an OS 46 nitro 69" trainer. I want to use as3x and safe on it. Mostly as practice and if it works well I want to do the same on my 85" Taylorcraft.
Anyone have any experience with this?
I watched the how to videos for the AR637T which should be similar. I'm using an NX6 TX.
The video is good and understandable except when it comes to in-flight adjusting gains. It would have been nice to see a video on someone actually doing that while flying.
And a better understanding of exactly what is happening to the servos while adjusting gain up to oscillation. I'm not sure what oscillation is.
They kind of danced around the technical part a little. Anybody out there try this on eighter the AR630 631 or 637? All are somwhat similar procedure I'm told.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts

Gyro gain is pretty simple. How much does the servo move for a given aircraft movement about the axis its controlling. These numbers are representative and not exact, I'm just illustrating what's happening.

Lets take roll. If you have 25% gain and you roll 10 degrees the gyro will give say 3mm of aileron to correct. If you increase the gain to 50% then you will get 6mm of correction from the servo for that same 10 degrees of roll.

If you have too much gain, the input will go one way, over shoot, and then correct the other way and back and forth setting up a high speed shiver in the aileron, or oscillation.

The same applies to pitch and yaw.

Now, you also have mechanical gain. A larger control surface on a 3D plane will require less electronic gain than a small strip aileron on a trainer because the larger aileron is more effective. Speed figures in here, the faster you go the more effective your control surfaces so too much gain usually shows up in dives or high speed passes. You want your gain as much as you can get without overshoot at the fastest speed you fly your model.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:56 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Andy,, doesn't using a Gyro also require using high speed servos? Don't standard slower servo speeds also cause issues?
Old 04-01-2021, 05:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
Andy,, doesn't using a Gyro also require using high speed servos? Don't standard slower servo speeds also cause issues?
Certainly high speed servos will work better. I wouldn't say they are required. Good digital servos can take a higher refresh rate without heating up and the constant corrections of a gyro can heat up older servos but plenty of planes use AS3X with analog servos, heck the mini Havoc EDF ships with analogs and AS3X
Old 04-02-2021, 04:04 AM
ts_flyby

Thank you for the explanation. I suspected that over correction caused oscillation but it is good to get confirmation. I have an older hobbico trainer so I will check and monitor the servos.
Good information thank you again.

more questions. When setting the gain the instructions are to use a dial or knob on the TX and advance the gain until occilation and then back off a little. So it sounds like I should be going maybe 75% throttle when advancing the gain? Or 50%. Going straight or in a turn?
also. My nx6 TX dont have a dial or knob... what to use?
Old 04-02-2021, 04:32 AM
BarracudaHockey

The highest gain is obtained by getting the most gain you can run at your highest speed w/o getting oscillation.

So straight and level full throttle, then back off a little bit to allow some room for dives
Old 04-02-2021, 06:28 AM
ts_flyby

Thank you for the help. I will be trying it this weekend I hope. Weather has been very windy in Ohio lately.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:51 AM
ts_flyby

Btw does anyone know of a video of someone
actually performing this programming process on their airplane? I already saw the spectrum classroom style instruction.