Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New servos tweeking

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New servos tweeking

Old 04-13-2021, 04:53 PM
tillerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New servos tweeking

Put a small foam plane together, used new light cheap 9g. I plugged everything in and it seems that the ailerons lag a split second.
And the more I test it the worse it gets, sometimes servos twitch with no input on stick.
I changed out the esc a few times along with half dozen receivers that were known to work. More of the same.
I've been using Spektrum system. I even broke out my Taranis I bought a few year back sitting on a shelf,
same result but even worse. Not just servos twitching and turning but the damn throttle was activating also.
I glued the servos in like I didn't want them to come loose. I don't know what else to do but change the dreaded servos.
Appreciate any help. Thanks
Old 04-13-2021, 07:03 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the servo monitor and see what it shows. Might help decide where the problem is originating.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:38 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHERE are you doing this? Basement? Garage? Shed?

Point is when testing radio installs in a closed area like the above, reflections off the surrounding walls, heating/AC ducts, etc can often cause one or more servos to jitter. The transmitter too being only a couple of feet away or less can simply swamp the receiver and cause one or more servos to jitter. Especially the less expensive servos and when batteries are fresh and fully charged.

Take the whole thing outside, away from buildings and try it there. If it continues to happen then move the Tx at least 10 feet away from the Rx. If it keeps up then I'd suggest unplugging the cheap servos in the model and plug in some regular servos of a brand name and keep the ESC plugged in as well. If they behave normally then I'd say those cheap servos are to blame and should be changed. If not then unplug the ESC and see if things settle down. If they do then plug the cheap ones back in without the ESC and see what happens.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:07 PM
tillerman

After more unplugging and plugging, I find if I take out the y harness and plug one aileron at a time it will sit there all night quiet. Plug the y harness in (which I really need to fly this plane) and all **** hits the fan. Meaning servos acting with no inputs.
Oh, since learning this I have changed the y harness out three times also, with same results.
I don't think it's ducts or something like that, I've been doing this for many years building and testing in the same room. Never had a problem like this.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:00 PM
tillerman

I looked at the servo monitor while the twitching was happening, I saw nothing on the monitor while the rudder and elevator were flipping out.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:35 PM
tillerman

Alright, originally I swapped out a couple 12amp esc with xt30 with no change. I thought why not try a couple more.
I put in another 12amp esc with xt60, no change. Then I try a 20amp esc with xt60.... and there is no twitching or false inputs.
What the hell is going on here. I don't think the connector matters but thought I'd give all info I have, if someone can figure this one out!
I wanted to try to keep it on the light side, but I've been f ing with this for weeks. I guess I'll use the heavier esc and bat and call it good.
Love to know the science behind this, if anyone has a clue let me know. Thanks

This makes no sense!!!!!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

First off Y connectors are just bad news. Basically you are hooking up two potentiometers that will never be in sync to a single pulse. That creates a sort of feedback just like a microphone too close to the speaker. Some servos can handle the noise some can't. Not sure why you must have a Y as just about every modern radio system has dual aileron servo mixing. Having your TX too close to the RX or setting up in a confined area WAS an issue with 72mhz. 2.4 does not have those issues. I suspect that the ESC BEC is putting out different voltages. It's possible the first two were putting out too much voltage, I have seen the same thing myself when I tried to run Futaba 4.8V servos on 6.6V.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:10 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
First off Y connectors are just bad news. Basically you are hooking up two potentiometers that will never be in sync to a single pulse. That creates a sort of feedback just like a microphone too close to the speaker. Some servos can handle the noise some can't. Not sure why you must have a Y as just about every modern radio system has dual aileron servo mixing. Having your TX too close to the RX or setting up in a confined area WAS an issue with 72mhz. 2.4 does not have those issues. I suspect that the ESC BEC is putting out different voltages. It's possible the first two were putting out too much voltage, I have seen the same thing myself when I tried to run Futaba 4.8V servos on 6.6V.
That would explain why the government is using RF Guns to shoot down unwanted and threatening drones by swamping their receivers. While 2.4 is less susceptible to it than 72 but only because of the encryption/binding. It is in no way immune.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:25 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Retiredat38
That would explain why the government is using RF Guns to shoot down unwanted and threatening drones by swamping their receivers. While 2.4 is less susceptible to it than 72 but only because of the encryption/binding. It is in no way immune.

Not relevant to this conversation.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:36 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Not relevant to this conversation.
Says who?
Old 04-16-2021, 01:36 PM
speedracerntrixie

Says who?

How about reality for one. There is just no comparison to a TX swamping the RX at close range to a weapon that shoots a focused high power wide band signal. You may want to consider sticking with the AMA forum where you can post any BS and as long as it fits the narrative they will buy it hook line and sinker. Answers like the above and answers like " Epoxy outgasses for a year " or telling somone that a 180 degree retract servo will work on a boat rudder just fine only shows a lack of knowledge. Out here in the real world your made up answers don't fly.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 04-16-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:31 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Making friends,, this site is so great
Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

How about reality for one. There is just no comparison to a TX swamping the RX at close range to a weapon that shoots a focused high power wide band signal. You may want to consider sticking with the AMA forum where you can post any BS and as long as it fits the narrative they will buy it hook line and sinker. Answers like the above and answers like " Epoxy outgasses for a year " or telling somone that a 180 degree retract servo will work on a boat rudder just fine only shows a lack of knowledge. Out here in the real world your made up answers don't fly.
Speaking of not relevant! For that reason I'll not respond to your stalking efforts. But I will return to your phony claims about 2.4.

From the radios viewpoint going out of range and being swamped are pretty much the same thing. All that happens is the noise floor rises above the level of the transmitted signal as the receiver sees it. To the point where the receiver can no longer positively lock on to the signal. It doesn't take a weapon to accomplish this but at the same time, I don't think the government would use such a device if it didn't work.

Swamping IS a possibility in this case. Do I think it IS the cause of the issue? Not really. But why not eliminate all possible causes while troubleshooting? Or is it because you didn't think of it first?
Old 04-17-2021, 05:27 AM
speedracerntrixie

First off, if I were stalking you I would have said something in that thread. Being a trained composites technician I occasionally do a search for a few key words/phrases to find areas where I may be assistance. I the intent was to stalk/troll I would have done so in that thread. I only mention it in this thread to establish your habit of misleading people.

Now back to the swamping theory. I would imagine that after setting up dozens of giant scale airplanes with up to 13 digital servos in a confined garage that I may have experienced it once. I haven't. Perhaps during the thousands of flights in sports arenas around the country I should have experienced it? Can you imagine what the noise floor is during an NBA or NHL event? Still never an issue.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:23 PM
tillerman

Speed, wow what a badass, what are we talking about again?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:59 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

................. Can you imagine what the noise floor is during an NBA or NHL event? Still never an issue.
Unlike you I don't have to imagine. I know what the RF noise floor would be. Assuming all the equipment is properly tuned and aligned, the RF noise floor will be pretty much where it always is. Typically around negative 80 to negative 90 db. All the equipment in use should appear as individual signals rising above the noise floor.
Unless of course you don't agree?

Retract servos are suitable to be used only for retracts! Not boat rudders, sail control, flaps or anything else that might require a little thought.
2.4 GHz is immune to RFI.

So sayeth Speedracer the omnipotent.

To the Bit Bucket with you!
Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 AM
speedracerntrixie

Unlike you I don't have to imagine. I know what the RF noise floor would be. Assuming all the equipment is properly tuned and aligned, the RF noise floor will be pretty much where it always is. Typically around negative 80 to negative 90 db. All the equipment in use should appear as individual signals rising above the noise floor.
Unless of course you don't agree?

Retract servos are suitable to be used only for retracts! Not boat rudders, sail control, flaps or anything else that might require a little thought.
2.4 GHz is immune to RFI.

So sayeth Speedracer the omnipotent.

To the Bit Bucket with you!

The noise floor at those events is not going to be a fixed value, it's all dependent on the equipment used and amount of equipment. Two teams playing that are low in the rankings as opposed to a playoff game will have a very different noise floor. Fact remains that signal swamping or reflection was never an issue in over 80 different sports arenas around the country.

No a retract servo will not work on a rudder, sail. It could be used on flaps if you only wanted one setting. Why? Because a retract servo is NOT proportional, then only go max travel to max travel and have no center. Some allow adjustment of end points and nothing more.

Once again putting words into others mouths. When did I say 2.4 was immune to RF? Read carefully, I said that a 2.4 TX does not have the power output to swamp its own RX. Nor does signal reflection happen with 2.4. The last time I experienced signal reflection was in the late '70s with a Kraft AM set.

Like I said earlier, the AMA forum is more your speed. Stick to the narrative and you can make up anything you want and get the ATTA BOYS you seem to crave.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:25 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nor does signal reflection happen with 2.4.
Patently false statement. Please explain why the laws of physics are different for 2.4 GHz signals than all the other RF frequencies in the spectrum.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:44 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read carefully, I said that a 2.4 TX does not have the power output to swamp its own RX (emphasis added).
You said to read carefully. I actually did - every one of your posts in this thread. And NOT ONCE did you say "2.4 TX does not have the power output to swamp its own RX."

So who is making up things? I'd argue it's you, saying you said things that you demonstrably did not say.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:11 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Patently false statement. Please explain why the laws of physics are different for 2.4 GHz signals than all the other RF frequencies in the spectrum.
Its not the frequency but the power level. 2.4ghz systems put out much less wattage then the old 72mhz systems. I'm sure this will turn into another debate on where something you read once has more value then someone's 40 years of experience. Don't you get tired of playing the same song over and over? Poor Retied, got called out on his lack of knowledge so Franklin hops up on his white horse to save the day. Go back to the AMA forum troll.

Funny how when I disagree with anyone in the anti AMA forum suddenly Franklin shows up. I suppose Astro and Hydro will be around soon to troll me next.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:48 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For the 3 children who cannot have a civilized conversation with each other about anything ever:
If you were my 7th graders, I would move you to opposite ends of the classroom and schedule a meeting with the school counselor to talk about the importance of remaining civil in polite society. As it is, you are grown men, so that's not an option. I suggest a similar solution though- don't participate in threads that the other one is already active in.
As for this thread, the question has been answered, so I'm closing it.