Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Switching channels with aux switch on Tx

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Switching channels with aux switch on Tx

Old 09-21-2021, 10:58 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching channels with aux switch on Tx

Good evening.

im after some info if possible. I have an RC boat and I want to use SWA switch on Chanel 7 to switch an output on controlled by channel 3. On channel 3 Iíd have 2 servoís and depending on what state SWA switch was in would dictate what servo was being controlled. Does anyone know the hardware required to carry this out please?

thanks Iím advanced.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:22 PM
tedsander

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

You need to tell us brand and model of the radio system you are using. Maybe even what operating system and version, if it is one that can have different ones. "How to" is completely different for each, if it is possible.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:07 PM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by tedsander View Post
You need to tell us brand and model of the radio system you are using. Maybe even what operating system and version, if it is one that can have different ones. "How to" is completely different for each, if it is possible.
hi the remote is a fly sky with 10 channel receiver. People have programmed SWB (channel 7) to switch channel 3 (the left joystick up and down) to switch between 2 different servos on the boats for 2 different operations so I know itís possible. Can you get relay modules or something inside the boat which switch channels with the operation of SWB and enable the left joystick to switch between two different servos?

kind regards,

Old 09-21-2021, 07:41 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 93 Likes on 86 Posts

I would contact the manufacturer/importer and ask them the question.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:41 PM
tedsander

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
hi the remote is a fly sky with 10 channel receiver. People have programmed SWB (channel 7) to switch channel 3 (the left joystick up and down) to switch between 2 different servos on the boats for 2 different operations so I know itís possible. Can you get relay modules or something inside the boat which switch channels with the operation of SWB and enable the left joystick to switch between two different servos?

kind regards,
Still need to know what Flysky model number transmitter you have. It might be possible with one of their advance systems. Not if it is one of their more basic ones.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:37 PM
[email protected]

Still need to know what Flysky model number transmitter you have. It might be possible with one of their advance systems. Not if it is one of their more basic ones.
Good morning so the receiver is a FS-iA10B and the transmitter is a Jamara FCX-6 with Firmware flashed to fly plus beta to open up the additional 4 channels.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:02 AM
tedsander

Good evening.

im after some info if possible. I have an RC boat and I want to use SWA switch on Chanel 7 to switch an output on controlled by channel 3. On channel 3 Iíd have 2 servoís and depending on what state SWA switch was in would dictate what servo was being controlled. Does anyone know the hardware required to carry this out please?

thanks Iím advanced.
Well, I don't have one of these, and a manual search came up with a model that might be the one you have. But it wasn't very helpful. Couldn't find a reference to "fly plus beta", although did see a github entry about the latest upgrade for 14 channels. Unclear whether this is what you have, or it even is appropriate for that radio.
In any event, it looks like you want to switch control from one servo to another. For all radio systems, you can't have two servos sharing a channel on the receiver and control them separately (they would both do the same thing, all the time). You'll need one servo on one channel, and another on a different one (just for here, lets call that CH8).
So the scheme would be for an output from the radio going to the first channel (CH3 in your example), and then CH8 when the switch is flipped, that would stop controlling the first servo, and start controlling the second.
That's usually set up in Mixing. So if switch A is one way, it directs to CH3, and the other, to CH8. Will likely require two separate mix entries. Unclear, from the manual I saw, as to whether you can turn on and off a mix with a switch on your radio. In some systems, the mix is always active.
If SWA can only control CH7, then the mix would be Ch7 to Ch3 only if SWA was, say "up", and then CH7 to CH8 only if SWA was down. (if it lets you define "only up and only down" for a switch in mixing).
If it can be set up, you'll have to consider what happens on the servo that is currently not being operated. Is it acceptable for it to stay where it was when you switched, or does it have to go some default position? You'd have to test to see what your radio does when a servo stops receiving any position information from the transmitter, when the switch is flipped the other way. It may just stay where it was, or may return to a "center" position.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:28 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

The premise of having two separate servos on one channel can only be done with a y-harness or some type of controllable module in between the 2 servos and the receiver, and which would also have to be connected to channel 7. Obviously a y-harness is not going to do what you want. What the controllable module might be, I have no idea.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:08 PM
[email protected]

Well, I don't have one of these, and a manual search came up with a model that might be the one you have. But it wasn't very helpful. Couldn't find a reference to "fly plus beta", although did see a github entry about the latest upgrade for 14 channels. Unclear whether this is what you have, or it even is appropriate for that radio.
In any event, it looks like you want to switch control from one servo to another. For all radio systems, you can't have two servos sharing a channel on the receiver and control them separately (they would both do the same thing, all the time). You'll need one servo on one channel, and another on a different one (just for here, lets call that CH8).
So the scheme would be for an output from the radio going to the first channel (CH3 in your example), and then CH8 when the switch is flipped, that would stop controlling the first servo, and start controlling the second.
That's usually set up in Mixing. So if switch A is one way, it directs to CH3, and the other, to CH8. Will likely require two separate mix entries. Unclear, from the manual I saw, as to whether you can turn on and off a mix with a switch on your radio. In some systems, the mix is always active.
If SWA can only control CH7, then the mix would be Ch7 to Ch3 only if SWA was, say "up", and then CH7 to CH8 only if SWA was down. (if it lets you define "only up and only down" for a switch in mixing).
If it can be set up, you'll have to consider what happens on the servo that is currently not being operated. Is it acceptable for it to stay where it was when you switched, or does it have to go some default position? You'd have to test to see what your radio does when a servo stops receiving any position information from the transmitter, when the switch is flipped the other way. It may just stay where it was, or may return to a "center" position.
thanks

this makes sense now! what Iíve needed up doing is buying a 10 channel receiver instead and pairing that with my transmitter. Iíve put the additional servo on ch7 and Iíll utilise a switch to control the other function rather than the left joystick. It is possible to use the left stick to control both servos switching over an additional switch on the handset but Iím guessing this is done with mixing im just not 100% sure how to set that up.

Another question is if I wanted to limit the power to the engines to say half or a quarter power but utilising another switch on the transmitter would anyone know how to program this?

cheers
Old 09-25-2021, 05:30 AM
tedsander

thanks

this makes sense now! what Iíve needed up doing is buying a 10 channel receiver instead and pairing that with my transmitter. Iíve put the additional servo on ch7 and Iíll utilise a switch to control the other function rather than the left joystick. It is possible to use the left stick to control both servos switching over an additional switch on the handset but Iím guessing this is done with mixing im just not 100% sure how to set that up.

Another question is if I wanted to limit the power to the engines to say half or a quarter power but utilising another switch on the transmitter would anyone know how to program this?

cheers
That function is generically known as "dual rates". Some radios allow a lot of flexibility in which channels can have them active, and some are very dumb, and force it to happen on the three main controls (not throttle) at the same time. Your radio manual should have some basics about that.

It appears your desires may be exceeding the capability of the radio. While I really like any of the systems that use "OpenTX" (FrSky, Jumper, RadioMaster, etc.) it carries its own pretty steep learning curve. It will easily do everything you want, but you may find yourself taking a lot of time learning the sense of how it works, and figuring out how to implement it. Fun for people that like figuring out logic puzzles. Not so fun for those that just want to go use their system, without a lot of "programming". The good side is that even the cheapest OpenTX systems can do the same as the most expensive, you just pay for more switches, better sticks, a fancy case, color screen options, etc. The "how to do something" is all the same, otherwise.