Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

72 mhz or 2.4

Old 11-07-2021, 03:25 PM
runredrun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 mhz or 2.4

Just came back to the hobby after many years. Still flying 72 mhz. Just bought 2 planes at auction and to my surprize they both had receivers. The receivers are airtronics 2.4 older ones and I don't know if they work. Do you think I should just throw them away or try to find an old airtronics transmitter and use them. Thanks
Old 11-07-2021, 07:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

I would get a couple of 72MHz receivers and call it good if your transmitter(s) is/are still good. As I see it, if you trust your present radio gear, why buy a used transmitter that you won't be familiar with or know if it's really good to go just to use the existing receivers that you also don't know to be good? If I was going to buy new stuff, I'd buy the same brand I already had since it will be similar to what you already have and require learning less than getting something you've not used before
Old 11-08-2021, 05:01 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

What’s the difference between buying a used TX or a couple used RX? Unfortunately we don’t know exactly what the OP has which makes it rather difficult to offer advise. One thing is certain and that is Airtronics/Sanwa no longer manufactures aircraft radios. 90% of the time when it comes to advising a beginner or someone returning to the hobby I suggest going with Spektrum gear. They currently have the higher market share and if the OP has a club near by he will be able to find assistance. The 2.4 Airtronics gear was only popular with the sailplane guys.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:05 AM
runredrun

I think I will stick with the 72 mhz since I have 3 radios and receivers. I've already bought one set of batteries. I just wish they were more than 4 channels. Thanks
Old 11-15-2021, 09:24 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do yourself a favor, if budget will allow, and invest in a nice 2.4 radio system. You will never regret it. No more concern about potential frequency conflicts!
Old 11-18-2021, 09:48 AM
jester_s1

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree, new radios are a great value. Yes, I know that the analog 72mhz 4 channel radios still work now as well as they ever did. However, features like end point adjustments, exponential, model memories, etc are just so handy. Add to that the radio is about as close to interference free as you can get and also new, therefore nothing is loose, corroded, or broken, and it's the best investment you can make.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:11 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sanwa is definitely still in production and a quality radio. I have been using them for years. They are retailed by an American company called Serpent America since Hobby Shack went bust. For clarification, Airtronics has always been popular with the pattern flyers as well as the sailplane crowd and their top radio was the SD-10 of which I have 2.
If the original poster wants to get rid of his receivers, please PM me and we can come to terms.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:50 AM
ggfalcon36

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
I agree, new radios are a great value. Yes, I know that the analog 72mhz 4 channel radios still work now as well as they ever did. However, features like end point adjustments, exponential, model memories, etc are just so handy. Add to that the radio is about as close to interference free as you can get and also new, therefore nothing is loose, corroded, or broken, and it's the best investment you can make.
Clearly everyone in R/C has their preferences, and bias. My first TX had vacuum tubes in it! And my gear failed all the time, up till 1973. Since then, I've never flown anything except FM PPM 72Mhz equipment. But I have several transmitters currently, all Futaba, that are 7, 8, or 9 ch, have all the toys of servo reverse, end point adjustments, dual (or triple) rates, expo, ail differential, all kinds of mixing functions, various trainer functions... and the best part? They have NEVER stopped working in the air, for 5 seconds, or longer, as I've heard 2.4 radios do, way too often. Channel conflicts? Not really. Most new fliers are on 2.4. I have that in a 1M sailboat myself.. but I'm the ONLY one at our field that flies on 72.. so no channel conflicts. I see these transmitters on various sites for sale, used, for less than the cost of a good used Enya .19. (LOL) Pretty sure all of mine are 20+ years old, and other than batteries, or the occasional broken switch.. work perfectly. There IS one function of 2.4 missing.. and that is telemetry. That might be nice.. but flying mostly brushless/lipo powered.. I've never had a problem knowing the battery was getting low.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:54 PM
carlgrover

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got radios on both frequencies and there is no difference when I'm at my flying field. We don't have any shared frequencies so i'm good. However; you don't want to go to another club's fly in or contest on 72 Mhz. I've been told, "you're on your own" with 72 at a fly in. I've gotten some strange looks when I've asked about the frequency board. And a couple clubs have had to oil the hinges on their frequency boards just for me. Kind of fun to watch them pry that old rusty box open to get me a pin.

No way I'm buying anything 72 at this point. Always better to look ahead to 2.4 but I'll keep flying my old stuff while it's still reliable.

carl
Old 12-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That 2.4 that stops working for a few seconds is a Spektrum thing. They even co-opted a term to describe it - Brownout. Has never happened with my Futaba radios since 2.4 came out. Been using Jeti for a year and a half and no such thing there either.

Cue the Spektrum apologists!
Old 12-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

If you think the "brown out" was bad in aircraft, you should have seen the havoc it played with boats. The problem was the designers didn't really test the new systems enough in real world conditions. Futaba saw the problems Spectrum was having, figured out why they existed, then correcting the problems before releasing their new products.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:34 AM
sensei

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If your buying, then buy 2.4, personally I have been flying Spektrum since late 2006 without a singe I’ll fated Brownout, but I only use lipos in my airplanes, so no low voltage drops…

Bob
Old 12-19-2021, 02:12 PM
bignasdy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still flyin my Futaba 9CAP with tunable module 72.
Tunes to all the channels. I love it still
d