Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Head Gaskets

Old 04-23-2022, 07:40 AM
Dave Yoder

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Head Gaskets

Anyone here ever make their own head gaskets? The reason I'm asking is this: My old Tower Hobbies .046 ABC glow engine appears to be leaking where the head is bolted to the top of the cylinder. I have not pulled the head off yet, as it is running fine since getting tuning advice from a fine gentleman here on RCU. I did make sure all the head bolts were tight, and they were. I don't know if this engine even requires a head gasket, I'm just assuming that there is one sandwiched in there. The engine is so old that I don't know if I can even get replacement parts today. I will see if I can find a manual for it and check for a head gasket. Anyone else have any experience with this engine? Thanks
Old 04-24-2022, 07:10 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Doubt this motor has an sort of gasket,, most don't, some do have shims for adjusting compression, but that is a different animal,, you can try some high temp rtv but that will probably blow out too..

You have an older cheaply built motor,,, run it until dies, drop it in the recycle bin and then move on

Old 04-24-2022, 07:39 AM
tedsander

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Yoder View Post
Anyone here ever make their own head gaskets? The reason I'm asking is this: My old Tower Hobbies .046 ABC glow engine appears to be leaking where the head is bolted to the top of the cylinder. I have not pulled the head off yet, as it is running fine since getting tuning advice from a fine gentleman here on RCU. I did make sure all the head bolts were tight, and they were. I don't know if this engine even requires a head gasket, I'm just assuming that there is one sandwiched in there. The engine is so old that I don't know if I can even get replacement parts today. I will see if I can find a manual for it and check for a head gasket. Anyone else have any experience with this engine? Thanks
If it is running fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
Are you seeing leaks, or does it just seem to lose compression when held at top dead center or not have much when turned over slowly?
ABC engines depend on thermal expansion to make the final seal. At cold temps (ie - not running) they can seem to be low compression or leaky. Eventually, especially the lower quality ones, will wear too much. But then they will be obvious with being hard/very hard to start and inconsistent running that no amount of tuning can fix.
Just don't forget the copper washer for the glow plug. Without, that area can be a big source of problem.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:40 AM
Dave Yoder

Yes, I'm sure the residue is coming from between the head and cylinder. It's not bad, just seems to be building up over time. I guess I won't worry about it as long as it does the job. Thanks
Old 04-26-2022, 05:11 AM
tedsander

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

No harm to try to make one, just use as thin a metal stock as you can find. I've used the sticky backed foil tape used for home duct work, and great care with an xacto knife. Sometimes it works. Scratch things though, and it's new engine time. For engines that don't have shims, real engine guys will lap in the head. But that is precision work well beyond my skill level.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Ive had good luck making head shims/gaskets out of soda cans. Typically do two shims to get a good seal. Many engines have a shim already in place, usually aluminum so blends in well with the head.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:04 PM
jaka54

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi!
Have you checked the head bolts for thighnes? Never in my 48 years in this hobby have I seen a glow engine leak where you discribe it.
Our glow engines does not need any head shim (aluminium). Shim is just there to give the right combustion compression.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:39 PM
speedracerntrixie

I’ve seen one or two leak. Usually happens when the engine has been overheated a few times and the head warps. Remember when Enya engines came with shims and/or a second head to adjust 5he compression to suit your nitro content?
Old 05-02-2022, 01:23 AM
Coxfledgling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mr

Spectrefilght may help...

I am searching for my long lost tech drawing set that has screw adjusted dividers, to mark and cut out some head gaskets for merco or two, os pet and a few others...
Old 05-02-2022, 06:18 AM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a set of dividers or compass with a blade. It is likely that another brand motor will have some shims that will work if it is the same bore. The dividers that I use sometimes take a couple tries for the exact bore size, and .005" is about the max thickness. Beer can, the paint seems not to affect it. The OP may want to just remove the head and clean and retorque the head in increments.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:21 AM
speedracerntrixie

Good suggestion Aspeed, maybe heat up in the oven to 275 and re torque?
Old 05-03-2022, 03:26 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got a T46BB ABC gasket set, new in package. Part # TOWG4654. Send me a PM
Old 05-04-2022, 01:39 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It's been 2 days so I assume the gasket is no longer needed.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:05 AM
Dave Yoder

That is the first thing that I checked. The head bolts are all tight.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:10 AM
Dave Yoder

Sorry, I don't get on here very often. Thank you for that part number although I think I will just run it as-is for now as it's not causing any problems. It just looks a little nasty, but then my planes aren't trailer queens either.