Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to balance a canard model?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to balance a canard model?

Old 05-06-2022, 12:29 PM
ziggy138

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to balance a canard model?

Building a plane with a canard on it and need way to balance. This plane has balance point 2 1/4 inches forward of wing leading. I have two questions about this problem.
One as this is a low wing model do I need to balance upside down ?
Two only way I can come up with is to use a threaded insert mounted on fuselage center line at balance point and screw an eyebolt into it, and hang on rope to balance. I think this will allow me to balance front to rear, and also wing tip to wing tip at same time. Question is does anyone out there have a BETTER IDEA or way to do balance a canard model? All Help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:49 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 133 Likes on 115 Posts

It sounds as if you know where the CG should be which is a good thing. I would build a single cradle that the model will fit into but allow movement. The balance inverted VS upright is really a non issue. The idea behind a bench CG setting is to get to a safe place to do your test flights and then adjust based on observations during your first flights.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:15 AM
allanflowers

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Balance right side up, probably with a long eyebolt. Otherwise the plane will flip over on the long axis while you are trying to get the fore-aft balance worked out.
I hope your intended cg is correct. Too far back and it will crash, too far forward and you won't be able to get it to rotate on takeoff.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:31 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

When I was balancing mine I have drilled small 3mm holes through the fuse to push the pin through. To make sure the CofG was correct I have build a smaller identical proto as a tester.

Note the hole between the LE and TE of canard.

Added winglets for better stability.

CG test proto.

Sorting out the balance.

Flying like a dream now.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:03 AM
ziggy138

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balance a canard.

Mr Frost, That is one sharp looking model. Your idea seems very easy to do, and to the point, and no problem to add to my build. Thanks for great answer. Ken C