Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

BALSA USA: Stick 40, Having trouble with take offs.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

BALSA USA: Stick 40, Having trouble with take offs.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:08 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 very good point.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:37 AM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi!
Agree with Jester! A little bit of Toe in is necessary and some positive camber.
The landing gear you use is probably too flimsy! What diameter do you use? 3mm or 4mm piano wire? i would recommend using 4mm.
I have a "Stick" too (think it has a wing span of 145-150cm) powered by a MVVS 4,5 cc engine (.28 to you americans) and it takes off straight as an arrow. But my grass runway is cut very short (10mm).
Have you checked the wing for warps? You should have a slight wash-out in the wing tips! -Very important!
Too big engine could also be part of your take off problem.
Also... try a better propeller! A Master A is no good (Too much noise and poor performance) compared to a RAM or Graupner G-sonic propeller or an APC.
I would also recommend using fishing wire to control all flying surfaces as it gives a light and stiff connection.
I would also advise to never ever using large ailerons going all the way up to the tip of wing as this invites flutter and makes the ailerons flimsy (you should be able to push hard on the ailerons without them moving more than a few millimeters). Better using strip ailerons, ending 10-15cm from the wing tips.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:58 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I'm currently getting out of this conversation. "The Balsa USA design for the Stick 40 is crap. So you need to make modifications so that it works correctly."

I will see what I can do. But I'm not good at modifying airplanes.

I'm pretty sure you guys are right about the landing gear. And we got the twist fixed. But I don't know the diameter of the landing gear wire. It's whatever Balsa USA sent with the plane. I don't even know if it would be possible to put on thicker wire without wrecking stuff.

I admit that I get a little emotional about stuff like this. It is usually a mixture of frustration, sadness, and anger. Because often times when I run into something like this, I feel like the manufacture let me down. They could of done this or that better, and they chose not too. I've also had some trouble with the rudder on this plane. It broke twice. The first time it broke, it was just from use. I was just cleaning the airplane and noticed it was broken. I had to glue it back together. The second time it broke, it was after this crash. This time I had to scab it over with more wood so that hopefully it won't break again. I've never had a rudder break on any of my other planes!

Last edited by gregoryshock; 09-11-2022 at 11:24 AM.