Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Having Trouble Seeing Top from bottom of plane?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Having Trouble Seeing Top from bottom of plane?

Old 10-09-2022, 07:29 AM
jaj333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Trouble Seeing Top from bottom of plane?

I have a couple of Flex Innovations RC planes and would like to make the bottom wing more visible. Sometimes I lose orientation. What are you flyers using to make the bottom wing more visible? Not sure what to use on the foam.
Old 10-10-2022, 12:04 PM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

None!
It just takes practice to know the planes location in the air! How many years have you flown ?
Old 10-10-2022, 03:43 PM
jaj333

Since 1995. I'm aware of that. How ever this plane is giving me a problem. Practice is not the problem.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:59 PM
tedsander

Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Now that I'm getting to be of a certain age, and cataracts are starting to make their presence known...I've started to play with this on the cheap foamboard combat airplanes we fly in my club. So far, I'm liking front to back wide stripes of darkish blue and bright yellow. Seems to work for me under a variety of cloudy/blue sky conditions. Doesn't match up to the stock scheme of most Flex planes, though. Tried same in red/white and it wasn't as visible. (Red starts to appear black at a distance...) For that combo, I've had better luck with a wide red triangle extending from the root along the leading edge, tapering to a point at the LE wing tip. Turns it into an "arrow" shape in the sky.
For paint, acrylic water based paints from the craft store work well and won't bother the foam. Can buy in small bottles, so the cost isn't much.
Had good luck with a film called "Oracal", sold for craft cutting machines at craft stores. Cheaper from Amazon. Similar to the old sticky back Trim Monokote, but normally not ironed. It has a really low melt point, so if you are concerned, a covering iron set very low (100F) will give it a bit more grab to the foam, but is not hot enough to hurt anything. Rolls are about 16" wide, and available in various lengths. Shorter ones very affordable to have a few different colors to try out for trim.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:23 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Painting the underside of the wings and stabs a dark color really helps me. I have several sailplanes that can easily be flown 1,000 yards away and it has really helped my orientation.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:44 PM
jaj333

Thank you. for the last two posts. That was what I was looking for. As was mentioned, just getting older and having a little more of a problem. I hate that feeling you get when you lose orientation. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:28 PM
1967brutus

Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

I guess it really depends on one's preference for colours, but I know that I tend to see yellow pretty good, and when using a yellow/red scheme, the red does not turn "blackish" at a distance.
All yellow on the bottom and a red/yellow pattern on the top, works for me pretty good.

I discovered that by coincidence when I bought a HobbyKing SpaceWalker that has such colour scheme, it is my most "visible" plane.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:42 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too like red/yellow or yellow/blue on the bottom the wings. Bottoms will be done with very wide chord-wise stripes. The tops of the wings will be done with a span-wise pattern to further help with orientation.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:34 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

checkerboard works good.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2056574...11&col=1&sts=1
Old 11-03-2022, 04:12 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daveopam
OK, but don't use a checkerboard with small squares. I did one once with one-inch black and white squares. Even close up it just became a fuzzy sort of gray.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:57 AM
ziggy138

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 80 years old and also have trouble seeing my aircraft. I find using two different florescent colors works wonders for me. Florescent red strips on underside of wing and tail, at least 5 to 8 inches wide show up very well in all light conditions. I use florescent green, orange or bright yellow on top surfaces. Big bright color on nose helps also.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:11 AM
mgnostic

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

+1 on the Oracal. It comes in two types, indoor and outdoor. The outdoor, intended for automotive applications or outdoor signs, even seem to be fuel proof. The most helpful thing for me has been lots of contrast between top and bottom. Out beyond a certain distance your eyes have difficulty distinguishing some colors but you can still spot the contrast between light and dark.