Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 06:34 PM
dloostler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote

I have herd rumors that they have quit making Monokote. Does any one have any information about this and I have noticed that ultracote is almost impossible to get. Every one is out of stock. Is there anyone in the USA that has oracover or how do you obtain it?
Old 01-24-2023, 09:33 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, It appears that Monokote has been discontinued.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:02 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The sky is falling.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:52 AM
GREG DOE

"The sky is falling." We might have to go back to silk and dope?
Old 01-25-2023, 12:56 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh great. I am building a Goldberg Ultimate from plans now. By the time I pick out my color scheme, all Monokote will be gone, and what remaining Ultracote there is will be priced at 4-5x the normal price, and that will probably happen to Coverite and other similar material.

I didn't see this coming, but I should have. It almost like someone is sitting out there somewhere, plotting to kill this hobby with the "death by a thousand cuts" philosophy. Lots of us are fighting back by trying to keep it alive, though.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Except for purple, Horizon is still showing 9 out of 10 opaque colors as being in stock. Not the huge range of colors/patterns from the old days, but still a moderate selection. Anyone have links to an authoritative source about it being discontinued?
Old 01-26-2023, 06:25 PM
GREG DOE

Hobbico, the parent company of Tower, and Great Planes bought Top Flite, which included Monokote. Horizon bought Hobbico, after they went into bankruptcy. Horizon was confronted with turning Hobbico around which meant they had to make many decisions on what products to continue, and what products to discontinue. I have no idea why they decided to drop Monokote. Maybe someone reading this knows why, or maybe someone would call them, and ask why? Monokote was made by General Formulations in Sparta Michigan. If there are any gamblers out there who would like to buy the Monokote brand name from Horizon, or introduce a new covering film from the same supplier that made it for Top Flite, good luck with getting your investment back. It appears that the profit margin for domestically made model products has disappeared!
Old 01-26-2023, 08:23 PM
tedsander

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Hobbico, the parent company of Tower, and Great Planes bought Top Flite, which included Monokote. Horizon bought Hobbico, after they went into bankruptcy. Horizon was confronted with turning Hobbico around which meant they had to make many decisions on what products to continue, and what products to discontinue. I have no idea why they decided to drop Monokote. Maybe someone reading this knows why, or maybe someone would call them, and ask why? Monokote was made by General Formulations in Sparta Michigan. If there are any gamblers out there who would like to buy the Monokote brand name from Horizon, or introduce a new covering film from the same supplier that made it for Top Flite, good luck with getting your investment back. It appears that the profit margin for domestically made model products has disappeared!
So, other than the very old news about the takeover, just unfounded speculation - since Horizon is still offering that product for sale on their own web site. Unless there is a press release, or some other official source, I'll caulk this up to Internet Scare Stories!
Old 01-26-2023, 09:23 PM
GREG DOE

Ted, We are trying in a candid way to say that Monokote has been discontinued. The acquisition of Hobbico by Horizon was several years ago. The Monokote news is very recent. It's logical to assume that they would sell off any remaining inventory, and maybe not want to make an announcement until that stock is gone? I trust my sources, but don't feel it's my place to identify them. I could have bad information. Your assignment, if you are willing to accept it, is to call Horizon, and ask them?
Old 01-27-2023, 05:52 AM
tedsander

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Ted, We are trying in a candid way to say that Monokote has been discontinued. The acquisition of Hobbico by Horizon was several years ago. The Monokote news is very recent. It's logical to assume that they would sell off any remaining inventory, and maybe not want to make an announcement until that stock is gone? I trust my sources, but don't feel it's my place to identify them. I could have bad information. Your assignment, if you are willing to accept it, is to call Horizon, and ask them?
First time that it has been mentioned that there is an actual source to the information, even if if not shareable. Up to your last post, the conversation was predicated on "I heard rumors". That's what I was posting about - all too often rumors are rumors, and without any kind of validation need to be extinguished. You have a source you trust, so saying so at the start would have answered the OP's question about the validity of the information..
Old 01-27-2023, 09:13 AM
GREG DOE

Ted, You are right about rumors often being incorrect. That's why I didn't want to say my information was gospel. Often times things that leak out, later turn out to be true, and sometimes turn out to be false. I hesitate to dispense even questionably information, but not everyone has my high (low!) standards. Truth is, we all ought to question everything we read on the internet!!!! I hate all plastic film coverings, but the one I dislike the least is Monokote, (aside from that period they had a problem) so I'm disappointed to hear this "rumor" too. Add to that, no other manufacturer has the color selections that Monokote does, so we will all stay tuned for the latest news.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:18 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of any sources that are still carrying Missile Red monokote? Thanks in advance for any assistance here!
Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just an FYI. Ultracote is just rebranded Oracover.