Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobby Express.Super Telemaster

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobby Express.Super Telemaster

Old 05-09-2023, 07:34 PM
brickwoodward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hobby Express.Super Telemaster

Hi all, long time Rc builder and flyer here, I inherited a Hobby Express super Telemaster. Fuselage is 61.5 inches, wing span is 96.5 including the center section of the cabin. Pieces were still in plastic shipping bags. There were no instructions with it to suggest a range of engines. No electrics around my house, only fuel and gas. Iíll have no problem assembling it, I just would like to know the engine sizes recommended?? I have a spare new Saito 1.50 that I could use, as long as I donít overspend the whole airplane.
thanks for any suggestions if anyone has instructions or experience, bill
Old 05-11-2023, 08:18 AM
brickwoodward

Bump
Old 05-11-2023, 11:06 AM
GREG DOE

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Try Mark Ackerman at [email protected]. He bought out Hobby Express, but didn't get anything other then the Telemaster airplanes.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:42 AM
brickwoodward

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Try Mark Ackerman at [email protected]. He bought out Hobby Express, but didn't get anything other then the Telemaster airplanes.
thank you Greg! Iíll send him a note. Sure appreciate the help! Bill
Old 05-12-2023, 12:53 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

For reference for essentially the same plane, I see that a .60-.90 size glow engine is recommended. I presume that means 2-stroke.

https://carolinacustomkits.com/shop/...ior-telemaster

Your Saito 150 would fly it, but it would be grossly over-powered for that type of plane. I imagine a Saito 100 would be a great compromise, if you wanted some real performance, while keeping it relatively light.

Sometimes you can luck out and get a brand new Saito 100 on ebay for around $250, like I did. I have seen others since then, in that price range.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:07 PM
brickwoodward

Originally Posted by Outrider6
For reference for essentially the same plane, I see that a .60-.90 size glow engine is recommended. I presume that means 2-stroke.

https://carolinacustomkits.com/shop/...ior-telemaster

Your Saito 150 would fly it, but it would be grossly over-powered for that type of plane. I imagine a Saito 100 would be a great compromise, if you wanted some real performance, while keeping it relatively light.

Sometimes you can luck out and get a brand new Saito 100 on ebay for around $250, like I did. I have seen others since then, in that price range.
thank you, Outrider, for the info. I figured it might be in that range. Im going to press forward with the 150 and be very careful with prop selection, aileron and elevator flutter and try it. Iíll keep this thread updated.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:39 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brickwoodward
thank you, Outrider, for the info. I figured it might be in that range. Im going to press forward with the 150 and be very careful with prop selection, aileron and elevator flutter and try it. Iíll keep this thread updated.
That might actually be pretty cool. I would suggest not using full throttle unless you were doing vertical climbs (if it would do that, and it probably would). I'd go with a large diameter and low pitch prop, and make sure that all of your control surfaces are solid, with no slop in the linkages. Balance with a heavy engine could be an issue, but you can often move the rudder and elevator servos to the tail to help counter that.

Also, make sure that you have enough ground clearance with a large prop. Quite a few times in the past, I had to make or modify landing gear to be taller, for this purpose. It's that "ripple effect" caused by changes, and it can bite you pretty hard if you don't see it coming.

I have many fond memories of my Telemaster 40 from 40 years ago. I put mucho hours on that bird. One time, it got stuck 80' up into a pine tree. I won't say how I got it loose from up there, but I am not exaggerating when I say that it dove straight down, rotated, flared and landed like a butterfly on the ground....all by itself. By that time, the RX battery was dead, and my TX was turned off and in my vehicle. I was only hoping to get my engine and radio gear back, but all I had to do was repair a couple of small punctures in the covering. I imagine I looked like I had seen a ghost when I stood there and watched that.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:44 PM
brickwoodward

Originally Posted by Outrider6
That might actually be pretty cool. I would suggest not using full throttle unless you were doing vertical climbs (if it would do that, and it probably would). I'd go with a large diameter and low pitch prop, and make sure that all of your control surfaces are solid, with no slop in the linkages. Balance with a heavy engine could be an issue, but you can often move the rudder and elevator servos to the tail to help counter that.

Also, make sure that you have enough ground clearance with a large prop. Quite a few times in the past, I had to make or modify landing gear to betaller, for this purpose. It's that "ripple effect" caused by changes, and it can bite you pretty hard if you get don't see it coming.

I have many fond memories of my Telemaster 40 from 40 years ago. I put mucho hours on that bird. One time, it got stuck 80' up into a pine tree. I won't say how I got it loose from up there, but I am not exaggerating when I say that it dove straight down, rotated, flared and landed like a butterfly on the ground....all by itself. By that time, the RX battery was dead, and my TX was turned off and in my vehicle. I was only hoping to get my engine and radio gear back, but all I had to do was repair a couple of small punctures in the covering. I imagine I looked like I had seen a ghost when I stood there and watched that.
I agree, thereís no way to fly it around at WOT. It should have good vertical and make a great slow speed camera mount. And be short/ small field demo flying, like schoolyards. I have made most all of the landing gear for my planes over the years. Mostly so I could lighten it up, move it around and eliminate tricycle gear.
thanks for all the help and suggestions