Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Quality rubber bands for wings

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Quality rubber bands for wings

Old 07-11-2023, 02:00 PM
tedsander

Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Quality rubber bands for wings

I do a lot of club training, using various glow trainers donated to my club. My precious stock of Sig #64 rubber bands is running low.
They have proven over and over to be far superior to what can be found in most office supply stores. Those break on one use, fail in flight, and despite working hard to clean they melt very quickly in glow exhaust.
Not the Sigs! They just keep going and going...

So - where does/did Sig get them from? Yes, I can likely order from Sig, but it would be nice to have an alternative.

Any recommendations?
Old 07-12-2023, 07:44 AM
mgnostic

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

You can get them through Uline dot com but the main thing is to look for genuine rubber. Latex free "rubber" is likely the problem.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:28 AM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alliance rubber bands. amazon is he best place to get them. alliance makes the rubber bands for the us Army parachutes. so they're a good brand for sure. the alliance sterling bands look like the ones you get from eflight. the office depot stuff is half the thickness is why you don't have good success with them. sig's are 2 mm and the staples/office depot stuff is 1mm.
Amazon Amazon

sig's rubber bands look like these,
Amazon Amazon

btw, I was able to buy a new box of sig's rubber bands from a LHS. sig is still selling them.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 07-22-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:30 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy latex fee rubber bands

Originally Posted by mgnostic
You can get them through Uline dot com but the main thing is to look for genuine rubber. Latex free "rubber" is likely the problem.
I just purchased the non-latex red rubber bands, and they seem better, is it just a matter of time then boom they break?
Old 11-17-2023, 08:45 AM
mgnostic

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

The answer would be "it depends". Even non-latex bands are not necessarily the same. From what I have seen, any rubber band has a lifespan. Latex bands seem to be more resistant to glow fuel residue. I have had some bands that weren't the run of the mill natural brown rubber ( they were blue) that held up quite well. As far as I can tell all rubber bands will eventually degrade. Storing them in a sealed container in cool dark place will get the most life out of them. I'm old school enough to have kept a jar of kitty litter for storing used rubber bands for the next flying session but looking back I think that was probably a false economy. Compared to the cost of fuel and other consumables a fresh set of rubber bands is pretty cheap. So the answer is yes, if you push them past their lifespan then boom, they will break. The solution is just checking the bands before you use them. If they are discolored, cracked or seem slack, then trash them and get another band. If you pay attention to the condition of your bands you can quickly learn to spot one that is not up to the job.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:49 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I buy the SIG #69 and use them for just about everything, including bungys for landing gear. They are heavier than the ones you guys are buying and last much longer. I still use the recommended number of bands for wing attachment. I get many many uses out of each band as I store them between uses in a large zip lock bag with talcum powder that gets the oil off them.