Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help - How to seal M3 set screw

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help - How to seal M3 set screw

Old 08-23-2023, 03:44 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help - How to seal M3 set screw

Hi All,

I have a problem.. Need help in figuring out how to seal the M3 set screw in the pics below. The set screw goes directly to the upside airline on my retract and needs to be sealed and locked in place. The threads are a bit loose making it especially difficult to seal. I have tried tried a few different thread sealants from the hardware store, but none have worked so far.

Anyone have any ideas what would keep the set screw from coming out and also seal the threads for pressures around 100 psi?

Additionally, I would like to be able to get the set screw out at a later date if need be..

Thx for any ideas...

Old 08-23-2023, 05:20 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a non-hardening Permatex. I can't tell you the number. There may be other products out there that accomplish the same task. Even a good anti-seize compound might work.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:41 PM
tcrowson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to the Locktite web site they have a multitude of compounds one may be what you want but they are not cheap. I have had good luck with a compound called Vibratite to keep screws from backing out but do not know if it would hold the pressure but it might be worth a try.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:08 PM
Maylon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe Teflon tape ?
Old 08-25-2023, 01:12 PM
txshan130

Originally Posted by Maylon
Maybe Teflon tape ?
Unfortunately, much too small to use Teflon tape...
Old 08-25-2023, 01:14 PM
txshan130

Originally Posted by tcrowson
If you go to the Locktite web site they have a multitude of compounds one may be what you want but they are not cheap. I have had good luck with a compound called Vibratite to keep screws from backing out but do not know if it would hold the pressure but it might be worth a try.
Thx... Will take a look. I was thinking about several of the Loctite varieties... Just wasn't sure which to try and didn't want to buy them all!
​​​
Old 08-27-2023, 12:03 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

first I would drill and tap the hole and use a new set screw.
blue thread lock is fine for that size screw.
the best thread locker I've ever used is made by pro seal. (aka the super glue brand) I found it held up to my 1/8 scale buggy way better than loctite and permatex. I buy them at Napa

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 08-27-2023 at 12:13 PM.