Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Sullivan Dynatron S603 Starter no longer working >

Sullivan Dynatron S603 Starter no longer working

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sullivan Dynatron S603 Starter no longer working

Old 06-11-2024, 10:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy Sullivan Dynatron S603 Starter no longer working

I have a Sullivan dynatron for some time, and it has been working fine, however the motor has suddenly died.
Some people say that the switches on the S603 are prone to failure, but I don't have any experience with working on electric motors.
I also took it apart but I could not find anything out of the ordinary.

I run my starter on a 12v lead acid battery

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Our starters are pretty simple, but if you don't know much about them, it can be intimidating. Find a club member who can trouble shoot yours. Unfortunately the switch is the weak link on the Sullivan starter. Sullivan sells them separately. They are made out of a couple of copper strips with a foam tape inbetween. When you press the rubber the contacts are forced together. There is a "kink" in one of the copper strips which acts as a spring. What can go wrong? The rubber strip that is on the outside of the switch can get hard as a rock. The spring on one of the copper strips can get bent after a lot of use. Finally, the foam tape insulator between the two copper strips can deteriorate. Now having said all that, the usual failure mode is for the starter to keep running when you release pressure on the switch. In 60 years I've never seen the motors on Sullivan starters fail, but that's not to say that yours might have died. I suspect you have a switch issue, or a cable wire break. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Thunder man (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 05:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The only other issue I have seen has been when running 24 volts. On rare occasions, the plates actually weld themselves together with very high current flow! Then the starter stays on forever.
Thunder man (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 05:28 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

^^ this^^

I had this exact same thing happen, so much so I had to unplug the wires to shut it down

Take the switch apart, clean and re assemble would be my first step

this ^^^
Thunder man (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 06:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Where I am, there is a local hobby shop that might be able to diagnose the problem. Like you guys said, I'm pretty confident that the switch or wires took a dump. In any case thanks for the help!