Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Smoke questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smoke questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Scott Dilley
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke questions

I have a nice nostalgic airplane with a Super Tiger G-60 on it. I want to run a smoke system, will the 60 engine produce the desired effects? Any tips on installation?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Varad

Default RE: Smoke questions

Do you plan on running smoke oil, a stick-o-smoke that you light the fuse to, or a onboard smoke system that youd need an extra servo for??
Old 10-07-2003, 09:14 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 strokes aren't all that good at producing smoke because they have an exhaust cycle every revolution. Smoke oil needs time in the muffler to get hot, it doesn't happen in 2 stroke/cycle engines.
Dennis-
Old 10-08-2003, 12:04 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I've used a os .61FX and received good smoke using a 2:1 ration of Jet-A and straight kerosene.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Scott Dilley
My Feedback: (3)

Aaron, did you use any type of smoke muffler or just inject it directly into the pipe?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:14 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I built myself a pre-heater by wrapping 1/8in brass tubing around a 1/4in brass tube and soldering it. THe preheater was inserted into the end of a HObbico exhaust deflector. The smoke oil, anfter passing through the preheater was directly injected into the stock OS muffler on the manifold between the expansion chamber and the engine's exhaust port (the idea is to inject where the exhaust is it's hottest because 2-strokers do run cooler then 4-strokers). To build of the required pressure and sort of "spray" the oil into the mufler, I put a brass tube with an outer diameter equal to the inner diameter of my muffler fitting into the fitting and soldered it on. On the end in the muffler, crimp the very end so that it's sealed and use a tiny drill or pin to put a small hole in the tube. THe idea is to have the oil spray into the muffler like it's coming out of a hypo needle or something.