Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Best nitro resistant flat water based clear

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Best nitro resistant flat water based clear

Old 04-29-2002, 05:00 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best nitro resistant flat water based clear

title says it all. What is a good flat clear waterbased finish that wont yellow and will stand up to 15% nitro. Ive tried minwax polyurethane before and it gets gooey after a while. Anything better that would not require special ordering
Old 04-29-2002, 06:05 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default varathane

smallfly:

I have had very good luck with Varathane Super Diamond Floor Finish. Works for me with nitro of 10% and 15%. Comes in Gloss, semi-gloss and satin.

This stuff is hard as an old boot. I also use it for glassing in place of epoxy.

Locally, Lowe's sells it but I have only seen it there in gallon cans and it is rather expensive (about $38-40/gallon). I know it is produced in quarts but I have never seen them.

I got a gallon from a friend a couple of years ago who, at that time, was "in the trade". Think it cost me about $25.00.

I have heard of people having good luck with Carver-Tripp but I don't know that specifically.

I have had the same experience as you with MinWax.

My experience. "Your mileage may vary".

edit starts here:

You would normally NOT expect a clear WATER based Poly-U to yellow. Oil based would (or should) be the culprit here as most oils used in Poly-U formulations tend to be on the "yellow" side themselves.

Dan
Old 04-30-2002, 11:06 PM
Dzlstunter

Default Quart size source

Hi smallfry. If you want to try the floor finish, it can be purchased in quarts (for about the price of 2.5 quarts when in a gallon!) at this source: http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp...571&sku=795011 Good luck, Dzl