Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Removal of CA Hinges

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Removal of CA Hinges

Old 10-16-2003, 12:05 PM
EXTRARC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of CA Hinges

Does anyone know the best (hopefully easy) way to remove CA hinges in order to replace them with different hinges?

JC
Old 10-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Mike_Mc

Default RE: Removal of CA Hinges

I don't but I usually cut them off, trim what's left flush and put the new hinges in a slightly different place.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto. Your best bet is to cut them off flush. If you are replacing them with robart hinge points, you can (carefully) drill right where they are, Otherwise, you can cut new slots next to the old ones.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:50 PM
EXTRARC
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks to both of you for your help. I think I'll use the Robart hinges.

Happy Flying---JC [8D] [8D]
Old 10-24-2003, 12:52 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ca disolver or debonder (aka acetone) a single drop at a time on the hinge repeat three times 15 minutes apart. this will turn ca to rubber work hinges out slowly. BE EXTEMELY CAREFUL NOT TO DEBOND WOOD JOINTS! if debonding wood joints is a risk
cutting them off would be safer.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just wondering why you have a need to remove the CA hinges?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:15 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I was wondering the same thing.
Dennis-
Old 10-25-2003, 07:26 AM
lownslo

I like the Robart Hinge points too. Just be sure there is enough wood for the points to sink into. (this all depends on the size of the plane and the actual construction of the trailing edge and the leading edge of the control surface). In repairing a plane, I cut a small access cut-out in the covering so I could glue a small block of balsa to give some "beef" for the hinge point. Those that are going to replace CA hinges NEXT to the old hinge............ be aware that.... if a lot of CA was used on the original hinge it could have migrated to the new area. This not only makes it hard to cut new slots, but the CA will not penetrate well in the new slot with old CA hardening that area. ... lownsl
Old 01-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Rocky_Mountn_Flyer

If one is able to successfully debond a hinge using CA debonder, is there any chance of reusing the hinge slot?
Old 01-25-2004, 05:35 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: BAMARC

Does anyone know the best (hopefully easy) way to remove CA hinges in order to replace them with different hinges?

JC
Yes. You order other hinges at the same time you order the kit. Then when you get the kit, you throw out the CA hinges that came with it. That's how I do it and it works like a charm.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:35 AM
iflynething

I am about to take the current CA hinges that I have in my Somethin' Extra. I have a huge gap in the elevators and I need to cut them out also. I plan on using 1/8 in. dia. Robart Hinges like some people recommended in a thread that I had about my huge gaps in the elevators (almost a quarter inch). But, neways, I'm gonna cut the hinges out flush w/ the control surfaces, and the stabs. Then, I'm gonna add some more wood to the front of the control surfaces and the stabs (trailing edges of the stabs, and leading edge of control surfaces); once that dries, I'm gonna drill holes in the places that the CA hinges were and then glue in the pin hinges.....I hope that will gove me better movement and it will look better to me.......just like CaffeenMan had on his techniques by adding that extra block of wood to the ends.......
Old 01-27-2004, 12:47 PM
iflynething

I have one other question: When I do remove my CA hinges, and I have to drill the holes in the control surfaces and stabs, can I just drill them right where the CA hinges were, and like go right in the middle of the white where the CA hinges are........I hope ya understand.....
Old 01-27-2004, 01:07 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: iflynething

I have one other question: When I do remove my CA hinges, and I have to drill the holes in the control surfaces and stabs, can I just drill them right where the CA hinges were, and like go right in the middle of the white where the CA hinges are........I hope ya understand.....
Yes, but I would use a sharpened brass tube. A regular drill bit will probably bounce off the old hinge material and cut into the soft balsa next to it instead. It will be difficult to get the hole centered.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:19 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I have successfully removed CA hinges for replacement by CAREFULLY sliding a razor knife blade along each side of the hinge. Its not easy... (it is easy to slip and carve your finger if you are not CAREFUL)

Some planes... putting the replacement CA hinges beside the originals... just doesn't work well.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:34 PM
iflynething

I won't replace w/ CA hinges, will use the pin Robart tpye so I hope that I can drill right beside the cut CA's....since the CA is also in the surrounding wood of the hinges, would that be a problem w/ drilling the HOLES right beside the CA Hinges??