Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Formation Lights

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Formation Lights

Old 10-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Canuck1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formation Lights

I need some information regarding the color of the formation light for my Lancaster Bomber. I have installed the Port and Starboard navigation Lights. The Formation lights are on the trailing edge of the wing tip. I was wondering if the colors are the same as for Port and Starboard like the Navigation lights. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Craig.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:19 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Formation Lights

Don't know about the RAF but the USAC and USAF have used blue for formation lights for some time.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Canuck1

Thanks Ball gunner. I assume that they used to blue on both Port and Starboard? I am having difficulty getting the exact colours regarding formation lights. It seems to me that they would have to be different colours, so the pilots would be properly orientated at night?

Craig.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:11 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

On most of the USAAC and USAF aircraft I flew in the there was usually one light over the center section of the wing, or in the relative position atop the fuselage, in addition to any others there might be. This was usually all that was needed for orientation. I never flew combat at night, just daylight, but training missions at night were seldom in formation until after WWII in the reserves. I've been out for a lot of years so don't know what the protocol is now for night formation. During the Korean conflict we flew with regular running lights while in the States and still used the blue formation lights.