Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

To G2 or not to G2?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

To G2 or not to G2?

Old 10-23-2003, 08:53 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To G2 or not to G2?

Hi guys, I'm been flying for a couple months now, I'm flying a SIG Hog Bipe at the moment, and the software looks great, but do you think it can improve my skills? or should I buy one more airplane?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:38 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To G2 or not to G2?

I really like G2 (or any other simulator for that matter). It WILL improve your skills and it's fun just to play with.

The trouble is, having a second plane is pretty cool too. Figure out a way to get both!

Tom
Old 10-24-2003, 08:14 AM
CRFlyer

I agree that a simulator can be a lot of fun, but I would opt for a plane any day over the simulator. I do not own a sim and don't plan to buy one. I have however used one a number of times. My brother ownes G2, and I borrowed it for a few months last winter but I can tell you that I think it gets old in a hurry. There is no doubt that a sim can help someone who has never flown, or with little experience, but in my opinion, buying a good kit and building and then flying will provide much more satisfaction than a sim.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:21 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

G2 is nice for days that you just can't get out to the field and you're jonesing for some stick time......my favorite thing about G2 is the multiplayer mode. Often, if the weather isn't cooperating, some of my buddies and I will fly online....it's a lot of fun, but it will never replace the real thing (at least not for me, but you'd be surprised how many guys I've met playing in multiplayer mode that have never flown a real model!)
As far as improving your skills, I think it can......if you fly enough on the sim, stick movements when the plane is in certain attitudes will become automatic.
If it comes down to a financial decision....new plane or sim, I'd go with the plane, but definitely keep the sim in mind for the future.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:17 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I have the G2 and this year I have only been able to make it to the fling field at least once a week. The Sim really helps on those days when I cant when I get stuck at home. Its fun but not the real thing. Kinda like Coke Classic vs the real coke. both dont compare.
When I have had one of those days and the wife says go fly, I do without a question asked, but since her and my work scedule dont match, then thats where the G2 helps out.
NEDYOB
Old 10-24-2003, 10:45 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

My .02

I have G2 and I think it is a great tool for learning new aerobatics... Let say you want to learn to slow roll. With the sim you can work on you coordination with the rudder ailerons and elevator. You can try it over and over until you teach your hands the muscle memory needed for the move. You can fly it for hours doing the same thing without worrying about crashing or sharing the airspace with other pilots. Yes it can get really boring just flying around, but when you are working on something specific it is great!!! When you start learning 3D it is a must!

I am a MUCH better pilot than I would be without it... I plan on mastering rolling circles next and I am currently working on slow rolls.

You should do what you can to get both the plane and G2, but remember you must not use it like is a game. Always plan on what you want to work on and follow your plan for your G2 session.

Also, keep in mind that it is not exactly like the real thing but it does make your movements automatic which means fewer cases of dumb thumbs!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Smoky

I agree with CG Dave: It is an excellent tool. I was having trouble landing my PT Stearman bipe. It would either dive or stall just before touchdown, or I would nose it over. I practiced with the sopwith camel on G2 until I could land it easily and then flew the Bipe. I aced every landing since then including deadstick landings. So G2 payed for itself with the saved crash money! LOL. however it is not the same as flying the real thing.
If this will be your 1st RC plane? I recommend NOT getting a Bipe. Get a high winged model. preferably a trainer, but any high winged model should work for ya. trust me it won't hurt so much when you crash. and in RC. it is not a matter of IF, but a matter of when. Murphy's law works overtime with RC. anything that can go wrong will. from airbubble in the fuel line. to radio Interferance hits and loose screws.

Also do not go out and try fly your 1st plane alone. get a competent Pilot/instructor to
Go over your plane setup with you. IE. check balance, throws, control surface gaps, ETC

It WILL save you alot of money and headaches. (and before long well get you into float flying! LOL
FWIW.
Rick.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Smoky

ORIGINAL: jucava

Hi guys, I'm been flying for a couple months now, I'm flying a SIG Hog Bipe at the moment, and the software looks great, but do you think it can improve my skills? or should I buy one more airplane?
I just reread this. I am not sure if I understand correctly. You have a real RC Bipe you are allready flying, and are considering getting G2? IF so then disregard my 1st message.

The 1st time I read it. I thought you we're flying the sim for 2 months! sry about that.
Rick.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:26 PM
jucava

I like to fly the real thing, and currently I already master the bipe or should I said tame it, I can fly a real plane not like a pro but like the regular guy in the next flying station. I'm trying to decide between the G2 or a park flyer for those days when I can not go to the club.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

If it were me, I'd go for the Sim over a park flyer every time. Probably at least half of those days when you can't get to the club field will be too windy for the park flyer, so you still won't be able to fly.
Dennis-
Old 10-26-2003, 06:06 PM
jucava

Good point Dennis.