Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cargo plane in "Flying Tigers"

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cargo plane in "Flying Tigers"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:57 PM
toy264

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo plane in "Flying Tigers"

I seem to remember reading here the name of the one-off cargo plane that appeared in the John Wayne movie "Flying Tigers", but I've lost the link. Can anyone help me out? Wouldn't that be a head-turner at Bomber Field next year?!

Thanks,
John
Old 10-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Bruiser
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Cargo plane in "Flying Tigers"

I remember that movie. I think I have it somewhere around the house. Anyway, I thought the airplane was a C-46, but there were a lot of them made. I was just looking at the new issue of Model Aviation and I see that Bob Holman now carries C-46 plans (40) by Jerry Bates and a laser cut parts package (200) as well.

I might be able to scan over the movie Monday, if I can still find it. I'll let you know if I do.

-Bob George
Old 10-25-2003, 09:30 PM
toy264

From what I remember, the aircraft was built in Italy and sold to Hollywood and thankfully, never went into production. It was a kluge, with skin panels pop-rivited in places. The box kite tail was the distinguishing feature.
I'll try one of the alt. newsgroups.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That thing was (as mentioned) thankfully a one-off... "Castenada" or something like that.
Wasn't pop-riveted, it used PK screws! Which fell out at every opportunity. Just being towed around the movie lot vibrated them out!
Old 10-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought that plane was a C-46 that the movie company rigged that "box kite" tail section onto to make it look like some foreign design. Flight shots were of a model for sure, and I've seen that same model in other movies from that era.

While on the subject of the planes in the movie, I always had the idea the P-40s shown in close-ups were actually PT-19s with a bunch of "make-up" applied to the fuselage. John Wayne was a big guy from what we're told, but when he stood up to get out of the cockpit his "P-40" seemed to shrink!
Old 10-26-2003, 02:12 PM
toy264

Okay, for those interested I got this response on the rec.aviation. military newsgroup from Dan Ford:

According to my informant, it's a Capelis XC-12, built in
the early 1930s and declared unairworthy just before WWII. For a view
of it, go to Aerofiles. (A tip of the virtual hat to John Mayberry,
who reported that the Capelis still stands in front of what used to be
the Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, California, closed since
the 1950s.)
Grampaw, you're right about the flying clips being shot of a model.

This from aerofiles.com

All-metal; triple biplane tail; *partly-retracting gear, which extended automatically when the throttle was closed. Funded by local Greek restaurateurs as a promotional aircraft, and constructed with help from University of California students. US patent #1,745,600 issued to Socrates H Capelis, of El Cerrito, in 1930 (a modified application for patent of the design with a half-span dorsal wing and two more engines appears in 1932). The main spar was bolted together, and much of the skin attached with P-K screws rather than rivets. These tended to vibrate loose, requiring tightening or replacing every few flights. Promotional tours were soon abandoned, and its career ended as a movie prop, appearing in ground roles* in several motion pictures ("Five Came Back" 1939, "Flying Tigers" 1942, others) before being scrapped c.1943. * Flying shots in films were of a model; the plane itself was grounded by the studio's insurance company.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71009.gif
Views:	26
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	70202