Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gosh #$%& CA Hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gosh #$%& CA Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gosh #$%& CA Hinges

Ok, I'm fed up with those darn CA hinges. I've had rudders come out and elevators come out in flight. I followed the instrustions carefully and these stinkin' things won't stay together. Could someone explain in detail, the methods they use to install CA hinges???
Old 05-03-2002, 05:50 PM
stop_the_spam

Are they breaking at the hinge line, or coming out of the wood? I've used CA hinges on over 20 ARFs and have never had them come out of the wood, but they do break once and awhile... I stopped using H9 hinges that come with the H9 ARFs because I found they break very easily.. I buy the Great Planes CA hinges (Not the pre-cut ones -- the ones that come in sheets that you cut yourself), and those seem to last for hundreds of flights.. For the Elevator and rudder, I cut slightly WIDER than normal hinges just for that extra protection. For ailerons, I don't worry about them too much because I always have high-rates on my ailerons and can easily land any plane with only one functioning aileron.

Adrian
Old 05-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

They simply pull out of the wood and I REALLY coat the heck out of them w/ CA.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:07 PM
stop_the_spam

Originally posted by Sawyer692
How can you coat them? You MUST install them centered, then drip 4-5 drops of CA on > sides of the hinge line while flexing the control surface to help work in the CA.. You should never know how much CA got wicked into the hinge -- Just assume 4-5 drops is enough on both sides.. Don't put more than 4-5 drops either..

Adrian
Old 05-03-2002, 06:14 PM
stop_the_spam

Also, your hinge slots should be made with a #11 blade if they are not already cut out for you. If you feel the hinge is sloppy in the slot, cut new slots, or wing it by compressing the wood around the hinge slot with your fingers after you've applied CA to them... The CA should wick into the hinge material, and also into the balsa.. If that happens, then they won't come out. Always make sure you apply CA to both sides of the hinge because a hinge consists of three layers.. The outer two absorbant layers, and the non CA penertrating/hinge inner layer.

Adrian
Old 05-03-2002, 06:19 PM
pda4you

Default I use the Great Planes recommended method

And drill a small hole in the middle of the surfaces in the center of the hinge area. This allows the CA to penetrate to the end and sides of the hinge. Never had one pull out - ever.

Take a look at one of their constuction manuals (online on their web page) if you want pics of how to do this.

Mike
Old 05-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Brylee

Also be careful regarding the amount of CA used. Great Planes recommends 6 drops per side. This is way too much. No more then three or four drops per side at most. If you do what GP tell you the hinges will become brittle and subject to tearing.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

I've been coating one half of the hinge, then inserting it, then moving it in and out to spread the CA around inside the slot. Then I coat the other side and do the same while putting the control surface on.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Brylee

Sawyer you are doing it wrong. Drill a small hole(s) 1/16th bit in both the hinge slots then put a pin in the middle of the hinge. put the hinge in both the control suface (ie airleron and the wing for example) remove the pin snug up the two surface so that there is no more then a 1/32 gap. Flex the surface a little and drip 3 to 4 drops of CA on one side. Turn it over and drip 3-4 more drops on the other. wait until dry. That's it
Old 05-03-2002, 07:15 PM
stop_the_spam

I've been coating one half of the hinge, then inserting it, then moving it in and out to spread the CA around inside the slot. Then I coat the other side and do the same while putting the control surface on.
This must be a troll? Or maybe you're using exoxy and not CA? You can't do what you just described with CA.. It will not let you "move it in an out".. It will bond almost immediatly.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "troll", but that is exactly what I did. It sets up in about 5 second-yes. Count to 5 and see how many times you can move your fingers back and forth.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:03 PM
OUTCAST

Just a personal note here, if you scribe the pivot line of the hinge with a crayon the CA wont stick to it and the hinge will pivot easier. Also Sawyer you are using THIN CA right?
Old 05-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Acually no, I'm using medium. It still seems to wick ok though.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:17 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Default CA Hinges

I need to replace the hinges in a H9 ultrastick120.I agree the H9 hinges are crap! I have a Dp Extra that came with the ca hinges. I was'nt going to use them but a pattern flyer friend of mine said to use them it seem to be a normal thing amoung pattern flyers.. I did the crayon thing and it worked great!! You can also get a almost sealed hinge line with the ca hinges..
Peace out

xtraflyr
Old 05-03-2002, 09:20 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Let's see...

Medium CA (not thin).

Apply glue before inserting hinge (not after).

Hmmmm... Now that would explain a lot. :idea:

Ya think maybe you'd be surprised if the hinges stayed put when you do it that way? I would.

Directions? What are those?

This thread is:

1) A troll.

2) Someone who doesn't read/follow directions.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:38 PM
INJUN_EAR
Banned

Acually no, I'm using medium. It still seems to wick ok though.
You need to use THIN CA....You must insert the control surface, hinges and all first. I use a pin in the center of each hinge to keep them centered and allow them to have an equal amount in each slot.

You need to apply 3~4 drops of CA to each hinge.
NEVER go back and reglue...it will make the hinge brittle and it will break at the hinge line over time. They are only made for one application (wicking).

Some people use a china marker to draw a line in the center that will prevent the CA from wicking into it where it will flex. If done correctly, this is uneccessary but perhaps good insurance.

To the rest of you yahoos.... This guy just asked a simple question! What's wrong with you dumbos? Can't answer a simple question without demeaning the guy? Morons! :stupid: :stupid:
Old 05-03-2002, 11:35 PM
seafury_fb11

Originally posted by INJUN_EAR
To the rest of you yahoos.... This guy just asked a simple question! What's wrong with you dumbos? Can't answer a simple question without demeaning the guy? Morons! :stupid: :stupid:

Well said INJUN_EAR. I agree 100%.

Russ.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:55 PM
Emissions

CA hinges can be quite easy to use. I bought one of those electric hinge cutters and those things cut a perfect slot each time (and can tear the crap out of your finger too). after you cut the hinges put them into the control surfaces and then carefully align them with the ones on the wing/fin/stabilizer. Make sure they are centered, an easy trick to keeping them centered is to just stick a pin or needle through the center of the hinge. This way no matter how hard you push on the control surface when your sliding into into the wing/fin/stabilizer the hinge is restricted from going in too far. Now all you do is put 4 drops of THIN CA on the hinges while slowly moving the control surface to its maximum deflection.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Crash_N_Burn

You got some good advice here Sawyer962. This is where I finally figured out how to do it right.

If I may restate the previous suggestions:

1. Use Great Planes strip CA hinges (they're great)
2. Drill a hole in the middle of the hinge slot (both sides)
3. Use a pin (or two) to keep them centered (I butt up to the pin(s) for my spacing).
4. Mark the centerline with a crayon (important!)
5. Apply petroleum jelly around the area (not on the hinge slots!) in case of a drip or a run.
6. Use 3-4 drops of thin CA per side (top/bottom).
7. Pull pin(s) and flex the hinges

Did I miss anything, fellas?
Old 05-04-2002, 01:32 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

You got it !! The coating on the hinges have a chemical that delays the quick setting of thin CA so it can wick fully into the hinge slot. And remember use THIN CA !!!! Med will not wick into the slot and will give an inferior bond. Enjoy EZ hinges they are one of the greatest thing ever to be introduced to this hobby. I have NEVER had one fail !
Enjoy
Brian
Old 05-04-2002, 01:56 AM
Georg Matthews

Originally posted by Crash_N_Burn
You got some good advice here Sawyer962. This is where I finally figured out how to do it right.

If I may restate the previous suggestions:

1. Use Great Planes strip CA hinges (they're great)
2. Drill a hole in the middle of the hinge slot (both sides)
3. Use a pin (or two) to keep them centered (I butt up to the pin(s) for my spacing).
4. Mark the centerline with a crayon (important!)
5. Apply petroleum jelly around the area (not on the hinge slots!) in case of a drip or a run.
6. Use 3-4 drops of thin CA per side (top/bottom).
7. Pull pin(s) and flex the hinges

Did I miss anything, fellas?
Well what you say makes perfect sense. But with a name like crash n burn i have to wonder.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:50 AM
Crash_N_Burn

Quote from Mig-29:

"Well what you say makes perfect sense. But with a name like crash n burn i have to wonder."

With your avatar, Mr. Mig, there is no question in my mind.....LOL

(Actually, I was ((literally)) Crash_N_Burn before I found this great forum and learned how to properly install CA hinges.......)

.....Now I'm just dumb-thumbs-crash. Guess I should change my handle, yes?

Have a great weekend, my friend!
Old 05-04-2002, 02:51 PM
wbrian

Sawyer692
I ‘m assuming that you have other planes that are now in question after reading this thread. If I were you I would consider pinning your questionable CA hinges with a toothpick. By pinning, I'm talking about drilling a hole through the installed hinge just above and below the joint. I then take a round toothpick and inset it through the hole and snip off the toothpick at the surface. I then use Thin Fast CA glue on the toothpick. The thin CA will not only bond the toothpick but will wick into the hinge. Some people will then sand and cap with monokote.

I do this on all of my favorite planes as added insurance
Old 05-04-2002, 03:19 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

If you are in doubt about any CA hinges cut the old ones and redo them next to the area the old ones were located. I once saw a plane in which the owner had used thick CA on the hinges and then pinned them "just in case" Well the hinges failed at the glue joints and then ripped out thru the pins resulting in loss of the aircraft. Just do them right and they will not fail
Brian
Old 05-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default My experiences w/ ca hinges

Yesterday I attached my control surfaces with SIG EASY HINGES. I only added 3 drops of thin CA, and if I feel it didn't cover an adequate amount, then I would put 1 more drop. If you make more than 1 application of glue on the CA hinge then the second will just make a puddle atop it, and it could weaken the hinge. (I think this was already stated though.)

I didn't have a tough time putting them in either. On the wings, where the torque rod entered the aileron, it was a bit tricky because I had to put the CA hinges in their slots while keeping it lined up with the torque rod. Soon I will find out how good of a job I did

What about nylon hinges???? Maybe that could be used as a substitute for ya?

-Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.