Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stained covering

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stained covering

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:10 PM
mdgyro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stained covering

i have a cub with a twin O.S. 160 Gemini twin covered with solartex cub yellow. The covering on the bottom where the oil from the crankcase breather tube releases used oil has been stained pink( I use omega 10% fuel and it is pink ) it won't come off Solartex says they have never heard of this problem and offers no suggeestions. They said they took a piece and tried to stian it with the same kind of fuel and it didn't stain. Ant suggestions or ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Stained covering

I would try a commercial stain remover (As advertised on TV). What the heck, it's worth a shot.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:42 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Most Cubs had an oil stained underside on the fuselage any way. I never saw one that was pink. Perhaps you should try some balsa rite cloth stuff on it or just clean off what you can and paint it with fuel proof black and wipe the pink off after each flight. At least it would look scale.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:55 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the same thing happen on another club member's Cub Yellow 21st Century Fabric covering. He never found a way to "clean" the stain out either. Good luck, let us know if you find the cure!!

Pilgrim
Old 11-22-2003, 08:24 PM
mdgyro

Default RE: <span class=

Thanks alot for your replies. I don't mind so bad the stain and the color will probably turn dark due to dirt and oil, I just hope it doesn't soak through to the wood. thats my main concern.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:02 PM
jetjockyf18
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: <span class=

I recently bought a newly finished Cub with Solartex covering which was not clear coated. Even though it is fuel proof, clear coating is a must to prevent the stains you mentioned. I prefer the latex clear from Nelson Hobby Products which goes on well with a foam brush and levels very well.
Anyway this Cub had exhaust stains from a G-26 gasser. I took a cloth and dabbed it with paint thinner and the stains came off perfectly without harming the finish. These had not been on too long, but it should work with older ones too.