Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CA Allergy

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 09:50 AM
rchron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Allergy

What are the symptoms of allergic reaction to CA?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:28 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: CA Allergy

runny nose, headache, cronic sneezing....I even get bloody noses from it

I got sick once and it lasted 6 months. I sneezed so much that all the muscles in my neck, upper back and chest were strained. You talk about PAIN!!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:34 AM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

I get cold like symptoms if I CA too much!
Old 11-23-2003, 01:16 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

A very good friend was allergic to CA in its regular form but found that the odorless type didn't bother him. Costs a bit more but worth it to him. I don't know if that will solve your problem but it's worth a try.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:29 PM
murphyj

Is working in a well ventilated environment sufficient enough to reduce the effects of CA or are there other things a person should be doing?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Kaos Rulz

I am keenly sensitive to CA fumes and wear a respirator whenever I am using any type of CA.
The respirator works well, however, I still have to let the parts air out a little before I can handle and closely examine my work without the respirator. Definately work CA in a Well ventilated area.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Intruder38

After many years of using CA with absolutely no problem, I became sensitized. Now it takes only the slightest whiff for me to develop asthmatic bronchitis within a few minutes. And I am lucky; the data sheets on the stuff also warn against heart arythmia. Even if you use it in a well ventilated environment, and with a respirator, if you sand the stuff days after you applt it, it can still get you. Odorless CA has its drawbacks, and it is pricey, but most of it works and, so far, I have had no reaction to it. I've been using mostly aliphatics since I became allergic and they work just fine. You do need to plan ahead a little and learn the gentle art of clamping and weighting and such, but I breathe just fine now, thank you, and I don't need a diamond file to finish sand my work.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:08 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

The salivary glands in my neck swelled up just like a sinus infection; accellerator did it too; took two or three months to slowly get over it. Switched to odorless five years ago, no more sinus infections! It cost me 80 or 90 bucks to build my most recent big plane but I'd rather not be sick....JIM...
Old 11-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

I get a break out of pimples on my arms. Kinda wierd I know. But now I only use it in a very well ventilated area.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:47 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

I just bought a respirator last week. It's great, I should have gotten one years ago .
Old 11-24-2003, 09:47 PM
murphyj

I'm still pretty green to this hobby and the specific terms.

"I've been using mostly aliphatics since"

I really don't know what aliphatics are. Any explanations would be appreciated. Some of the symptoms described I experienced last winter while building my first kit. I never really made the connection before and I thought I just had a nasty cold. I'm about to start my next big project and I'm thinking I might re-think my choice of glues.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:51 PM
GrnBrt

I get my CA out of Australia and it's as good, if not better then the oderless brands out there and cheaper! I can lay a bead, hit it with the kicker and put it right under my nose and take a deep breath and nothing, no reaction at all where others would bring tears to your eyes and burn the bejeebers out of your nose.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Intruder38

Murphyj,

Aliphatic is the technical name for almost all yellow carpenters glues; Elmers, TiteBond, Great Planes Pro wood glues are a few of them. They are as strong, if not stronger, than CA, but take much longer to set up and do not wick into joints like CAs do. On the up side, aliphatics are a lot less expensive and a whole lot more sandable than CA. Usually you have to clamp and/or weight down an aliphatic joint to give it time to set up. If you need a quick set because you can't use clamps or weights in a particular situation, you can get a faster grip time by preglueing both halves of the joint, allow the sufaces to get almost dry (tacky), then join the parts. Actually, the aliphatic route, once you get used to it, doesn't take all that much longer (but maybe you'll last longer).

GrnBrt,

Just a word of caution! In my early days with CA, I has no problems whatsoever. As you said, a good face full of fumes had no effect at all. But once I became sensitized, the change was dramatic indeed. Maybe the degree of refinement makes it a bit more tolerable, but the chemical formulation is pretty much the same. Be careful.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:53 PM
GrnBrt

GrnBrt,

Just a word of caution! In my early days with CA, I has no problems whatsoever. As you said, a good face full of fumes had no effect at all. But once I became sensitized, the change was dramatic indeed. Maybe the degree of refinement makes it a bit more tolerable, but the chemical formulation is pretty much the same. Be careful.
I understand your concern and appreciate it and I am not saying one should do this with CA, just that it gives off no fumes that would cause a reaction like regular CA does. It was developed by a guy that would end up in the hospital if used it, even user friendly stuff and yes the fumes of regular CA get to me real quick also.