Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 04:41 PM
foxtrot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperons

Is it really worth it to mix flaperons into ailerons? Do they slow the plane down that much, or are they more trouble than they are worth? any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-23-2003, 10:10 PM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Flaperons

First thing you should consider is what you are trying to accomplish. On some models they will make landings slower on others for acrobatic maneuvers. One thing you must keep in mind is that on many "sport" models they will make the plane uncontrollable on landing(too much lift). Most R/C planes do not need them. What type of plane where you thinking of using them on?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PErsonally, I prefer seperate flaps and ailerons, But depending on the plane, flaps CAN be fun. IF your plane has 2 aileron servos, and your radio will do it, try them. You're the only one who will know if you like it or not.

I would suggest starting with a relatively slight deflection at first, and be prepared to turn them off (bring them back up) if the plane get's hairy (try them for the first time with some altitude just in case).
Old 11-24-2003, 12:44 AM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, I agree that most airplanes dont need flaps but thats beside the point. Its something "cool" to play with, imagine your bird coasting over the runway with a little head wind and you can almost walk side by side to it. Additionally, in the event of a deadstick and you are right over the runway, most likely you will overshoot and land on the weeds.....NOT ANYMORE with flaps! Crank them puppies down and watch your bird do and "elevator" type landing smooth and slooooow. Thats the beauty of this hobby, experimentation leads to understanding and TONS OF FUN!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:09 AM
CP140

I played with them on an LT40(I had to rebuild a section of the wing after a less than graceful "landing")... frankly they didn't seem to do that much... although the roll rate did seem a little less...maybe I didn't have enough deflection or maybe the airframe is so "draggy" on its own that flaperons didn't even make a difference...also tried flipping them the other way(spoilerons)... seemed to increase the sink rate a bit, but not enough to make a lot of difference.