Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Decent Compressor

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Decent Compressor

Old 11-26-2003, 01:24 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent Compressor

Hi,
I'm in the market for a new compressor. I currently have a Testors AC500, and I need something with more power I need more power because the AC500 can't keep up with my touch up gun. So I was looking on the Home Depot web site and found this:

Brand Campbell Hausfeld
Model # WL504355AJ
Air Delivery 4.3/3.1 SCFM @ 40/90 Psi
Carrying System Yes
Engine Horsepower 2 HP
Fuel Tank Capacity 4 gal.
Full Roll Cage No
Max Air Pressure Delivery 125 Lb.
Motor 2 Peak
Regulator Yes
Tank Pressure Gauge Yes
Type Compressors
Weight 63 Lb.
Wheels/Portability No
How does that sound? Any other recomendations would be appreciated. My budget for this item is $200.00
Thanks!
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20015.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	77681  
Old 11-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Decent Compressor

Check this one out. Much better, in my opinion:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916725000
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12753.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	77719  
Old 11-27-2003, 01:45 AM
DustOffUH1

Looking Good That's the kinda help I'm talking about... any more??
Thanks!
Joe
Old 11-27-2003, 05:15 AM
CafeenMan

I had a craftsman compressor and it kept eating the flutter valve. Cost more to keep it running than it did to buy it. I'm using a Campbell Hausfield compressor now and it's given me no problems. It's only a little over a year old though. I don't remember the specs, but I think it's a 20 gal tank and 5 hp?
Old 11-27-2003, 06:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd make sure that the compressor is not a direct drive model. You want one that has belts. That way if the motor dies, you can relace it. Otherwise you replace the whole thing.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:15 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

I got a good one from Harbor Freight Tools in Camarillo, CA ; they carry Campbell Hausfeld among others. Mine is 2 hp/4.24 cfm @ 60 psi and it runs my hvlp touch-up gun fine, but at 60lbs ship wt my mail man hates me now. At the time I ordered, I paid 79.99 and got free shipping! Their phone # is 1-800-423-2567 or go harborfreight.com. They take a couple of weeks to get it to you, but I am happy with their service...JIM
Old 11-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Gollywock

The trouble with those diaphragm compressors is they seem to make so darn much noise. Jim
Old 11-27-2003, 11:15 PM
DustOffUH1

Thanks to everyone so far with your recommendations and advice. Its greatly appreciated!
Joe
PS I've had good dealings with Harbor Freight also
Old 11-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I purchased this same compressor (from Lowes) for my wife but it cost me $250.
Is it still on sale for $200?

ORIGINAL: DustOffUH1

Hi,
I'm in the market for a new compressor. I currently have a Testors AC500, and I need something with more power I need more power because the AC500 can't keep up with my touch up gun. So I was looking on the Home Depot web site and found this:

Brand Campbell Hausfeld
Model # WL504355AJ
Air Delivery 4.3/3.1 SCFM @ 40/90 Psi
Carrying System Yes
Engine Horsepower 2 HP
Fuel Tank Capacity 4 gal.
Full Roll Cage No
Max Air Pressure Delivery 125 Lb.
Motor 2 Peak
Regulator Yes
Tank Pressure Gauge Yes
Type Compressors
Weight 63 Lb.
Wheels/Portability No
How does that sound? Any other recomendations would be appreciated. My budget for this item is $200.00
Thanks!
Joe
Old 11-30-2003, 02:06 AM
RcBoatLover
My Feedback: (1)

The oil-less compressors are very loud! I'm about to buy a compressor my self and plan to get one with a oil filled crank case. They are much quieter and seam to last longer. As another bonus, most of them use a belt to connect the motor. Like someone said, much easier to replace the motor in needed.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:01 PM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

Interesting. I just replaced the Campbell-Hausfeld compressor you show with the Sears Craftsman that Steve Collins shows in his posts. Don't waste your money on the C-H compressor. It's relatively expensive and poorly made, in my opinion. After less than a year's occasional use it can no longer bring the tank pressure up to cutoff, even after an hour.

OTOH, the Craftsman unit I'm very pleased with. While not necessarily a "professional" grade compressor it is very well made and will serve my needs for many years. Sears puts them on sale every so often (I got mine for ~$200) and comes with a very nice tool kit including a Craftsman air ratchet.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Steve Collins

CurtD,

I have an old Craftsman Compressor, around 17 years old, diaphragm type, 1HP, 7 gallon tank. It has always performed perfectly. I have never heard of the problems some of these other posters have talked about.

The only reason I upgraded from the old one (still have/use) to another Craftsman, 6hp-30gal tank, is I recently acquired an HVLP automotive paint gun and needed a lot more air volume than the old compressor is capable of delivering. Going cheap isn't always the best way.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
DustOffUH1

I think I might go for the 30 gal 6 hp Craftsman. [link=http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916555000&tab=description#tablink]Craftsman 6 HP 30 gal[/link]
I am going to be purchasing a detail gun too, so I want to make sure I get something that can handle a decent automotive gun. Is it very loud? I know I said my budget was $200, but I figure for a hundred bucks more, what the heck... I am still open to ideas.
Thanks again to everyone for their comments!
Joe
Old 12-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Steve Collins

Yes, It is very loud. Mine is in my garage. A side benefit of the 30 gallon tank is that the compressor doesn't have to cycle on/off as often as one with a smaller tank. I am currently using a DeVilbiss FinishLine II HVLP automotive gun. With the type spraying we do on our planes, this compressor keeps up with the air volume demand quite nicely.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:42 PM
MustangFan

How much SCFM do you need for the touch up gun.

Just purchased a small 2 gal. 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI Sears compressor for $90.00 for the shop.
Fairly quiet ... oil type. It fits under my work "bench". They are on sale now (this area) and if you have/apply for a Sears Club card, you get 10% OFF THE $99.00 SALE PRICE.

Most of my use will be air-brush ... but I think I'll try my touch-up gun tonight.
It was a lot less than a good air-brush compressor that doesn't have a tank.

I will pump this thing up and get 10-15 minutes of air brush time before it cycles.

Works for me

Good Hunting !
Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 PM
DustOffUH1

How much SCFM do you need for the touch up gun.
The one I'm looking at says 11.4 CFM at 23 PSI inlet pressure. Here's the gun I'm looking at: [link=http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/DEV-FLG635316.html]FinishLine IIâ„¢ HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun [/link] Steve Collins mentioned that one. I've been looking at a lot of those too, and that one looks very nice. I'm taking my time with this and mulling over the compressor and spray gun because I want to buy something nice, that works very well, and that will last a long time. I know I can get a touch up gun for around $40, but I want something a little better than that. I've looked and you could spend over $500 on a gun alone, but I'm not going that far
Thanks again to everyone for their opinions and advice. I'll be making a descision very soon. I hope
Joe