Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Whats better!! RC Heli's vs RC Planes

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Whats better!! RC Heli's vs RC Planes

Old 05-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats better!! RC Heli's vs RC Planes

I've been flying RC planes for quite some years now, and have been thinking of purchasing a Heli. I have quite a bit of money invested in planes, but have been thinking about buying a Heli. I dont want to get a Heli, and kick the planes to the curb. At the same time I would hate to spend $700.00 on a complete Heli and not enjoy it. I'm hoping if I get one I would like both, and would enjoy flying both. Thanks, Daz...
Old 05-10-2002, 11:37 PM
hiroboz

You will love the Heli but, you will probably kick the planes to the curb! If you want to learn how to fly the Heli's it will take 110% dedication. After your an accomplished Heli pilot the planks will bore you
Get a Heli flight sim, first and foremost!
Old 05-10-2002, 11:56 PM
Dazzler

I already have G2, and have flown the Heli's, and doing all kinds of manuevers with it, even inverted flight. Daz...
Old 05-11-2002, 01:11 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Dazzler:

Yes the G2 is great practice but it doesn't give you 'boom strike'.
The past 5 years have brought out much better entry level heli's
like the Raptor. It just scares me with those gazillion little screws
and nuts that if one works loose then the whole thing shreds to
pieces. In an emergency, their glide ratio stinks.

Randy
Old 05-11-2002, 12:54 PM
BingoFlyer

If it flies it's gotta be GOOD!
Old 05-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Dazzler

Rreiss, even though I fly it on G2 I know its cant be that easy, I don't know what boom strike is but it sounds like a crash. When you say 1 screw coming loose will or could kill the heli, thats making me think twice. I may just stick with the planes, still thinking. Thanks, Daz...
Old 05-11-2002, 04:37 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Quote from a Huey pilot in Viet-Nam "Airplanes were meant to fly, Helicopters were meant to crash". sure made me feel real good when riding around in one.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:20 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Default Planes VS Helis

Originally posted by Dazzler
Rreiss, even though I fly it on G2 I know its cant be that easy, I don't know what boom strike is but it sounds like a crash. When you say 1 screw coming loose will or could kill the heli, thats making me think twice. I may just stick with the planes, still thinking. Thanks, Daz...
I am kind of in the same boat you are. I have flown planes for a few years and decided to try helos. I havn't kicked the planes to the curb yet but the heli is a lot more fun to fly! And the best thing is wind won't stop you like it does planes!!

Helis are easier to transport, survive hanger rash better, and don't need a runway!

As for bolts coming loose as long as you build it likes it's supost to be built and give it a check after every flight you should be fine.
I have the Raptor 50 and coming from planes I think it is a lot easier to handel than a plane! Compact and sturdy, not like balsa. And there are only so many bolts on a heli, it's not like it's the space shuttle or anything!
Old 05-11-2002, 07:54 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Daz:

I'm just envious of a good heli pilot. The only pilots to have egos
higher than the chopter pilots are the 3D boys. We need more of
a kinder and gentler group such as us sport boys.(just kidding).

The boom strike comment was in touchdown if it is too hard then
the rotors flex downward and strike the boom. Some of the re-
visions by mfg's. have been to raise rotor hub. You think you get
sick when you break a 20 to 24" prop. That's only 25.00

Randy
Old 05-11-2002, 09:11 PM
Dazzler

I am looking at the Raptor 50, or maybe the sceadu 50. I like Thundertiger, and I like the price. Daz...
Old 05-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Ergo60
My Feedback: (1)

Dazzler,

I came from the plane side as well, I flew for several years with planes, and Extra 300, Super sportster, to name a few of the hotter ones, and NONE I repeat NONE of them gave me the rush that my helicopter gives me. I only keep one plane in my hanger now, and that is a little 25 powered Sig Wonder, and I fly that when I need to take a relaxing break.

You will not regret switching to helicopters. I absolutely LOVE them. I have been flying the JR line for a few years now, and they have not ever let me down, I have let them down a few time but never from a problem with the helicopter,so dont look past them, All metal and excellently enginered. They will fly great right out of the box, in fact the guy who taught me how to fly helicopters switched to the Ergos after he flew mine, and has flown the same un-modified Sport 60 since then with no problems or up grades needed.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Dazzler

I was just at the Heliproz website looking at the JR Ergo 60, nice looking Heli, little costly . I see you have a YS61 in your Ergo, you must have some bucks tied up in that. I'm sure that thing really flies well, wish I was at your stage Ergo 60. Thanks, Daz...
Old 05-11-2002, 10:32 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default What about the Fury 50?

I am looking at the Raptor 50, or maybe the sceadu 50. I like Thundertiger, and I like the price. Daz...
Planes are as much fun as a Helis,
I like them both. So to say what is better ,,,,,,,,
I say both are better. :devious:
Old 05-11-2002, 10:42 PM
Dazzler

OSmax, I'm glad to hear that, which do you fly the most ?, since it sounds like you do have them both. Daz...
Old 05-11-2002, 10:46 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default I sold my planes I just fly Heli's now.

OSmax, I'm glad to hear that, which do you fly the most ?, since it sounds like you do have them both. Daz...
But I think, I will be getting a fun flyer. Gary Wright has this really nice plane . Really cool...
And some day I would like to get a Jet.....
:drowning: I just cant get all now LOL
Old 05-12-2002, 03:32 AM
DOUBS

Default helis

i was in your same shoes not to long ago, plane guys only say planes because they can not fly helis!!l just kidding.
make the effort to the switch, time, money good wife.
only intrest i have planes how is my turbine, but i always think it could be two or three more copters!!!
brian doubek
vigor, 2 raptors
Old 05-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Emissions

Helis and planes can be equally fun, its just harder to hover a plane 2 feet off the ground than a heli. But overall if your looking for a rewarding challenge fly a Heli, theres no such thing as "Hands off Flying" with one of those.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:55 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Daz,
I still love my planes as well as my helis. I almost always take a heli with me to the field as well as a couple planes. The heli will make you a better airplane flyer by virtue of having to use both sticks equally well. Even with out realizing it, I find myself making rudder corrections on my planes that I used to have to think about before getting into helis. I started with a used Nexus and have since gotten a Fury 60. I still fly the Nexus since it's a relatively cheap crash when I'm trying new things.
Heli flyers generally have a different mindset about their hobby. The setup and maintenance is as much a pleasure as flying. We tend to be more of the perfectionist type, always tuning, adjusting etc. I've read a lot of your posts since I've been on RCU and I think you'd fit right in.
If I was forced to choose between planes and helis I'd keep my helis. They are more of a challenge to fly well and they can be flown in many areas planes can't. I was able to fly my Nexus most of the winter in my side yard. Well, hovering stuff anyway.
I don't think you'll be sorry trying it!
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 05-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Dazzler

basmntdweller, you are dead on it, I love tinkering around with my hobby, and the thing I like about heli's is that you can upgrade them with various parts, cosmetically and mechanically. I think I may be making my decision this week, and giving Heliproz a call if I decide to order. Thanks, Daz...
Old 05-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Hehe, Maybe I'll start a "Whos a tinkerer" thread I'm a tinkerer/perfectionist, and building is as much fun as flying is to me.

I have a Concept EP (30 size) I've enjoyed farting around with, I'll tell you, It certainly is different! It really is fun going into the backyard with my electric heli and hovering, looping, and occasionally startling the neighbors by hovering around their backyard.
Its a different kind of feeling/rush, choosing which to fly (your heli or airplane) depends on what kind of mood youre in, I enjoy both equally well!
I have to sell my heli to fund a 31%sukhoi, but I will be buying a new one soon!! Good Luck
Old 05-12-2002, 08:48 PM
basmntdweller

Hey Daz,
Hows the Giles doing? I have made the decision to take the 3D throws out of mine and go strictly for more of an IMAC setup. I spent the other day working on the pattern, mostly watching tracking seeing what adjustments I need to make with mine.
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 05-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Dazzler

basmntdweller, the Giles hasnt been out since the 1st day. I have 13 planes and its hard to fly 1 more than 2 days in a row, and I had some other testing to do on some other planes, but I plan on taking it back out this week, we had rain this weekend and was not good. I have to get it back out to put it through its paces. What are the imac's setup for the plane, I thought that was the same as 3D. Daz...
Old 05-12-2002, 09:11 PM
basmntdweller

The beginner sequences don't have any 3D so I'm just taking out the 3D rates at the control horns to help the control repeatability. I think having the extreme rates with less than perfect servos hurts the centering of the surfaces. If I had digitals I'd keep it the way it was but I'm not ready to spent that much on servos.
I'm in the same boat as you, nine planes and two helis. What do I fly today? It'll be a heli in the yard if the rain would stop! I've even thought about standing in the garage and hovering in the driveway in the rain!
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 05-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Scotty740

My preference? Check below.
I do have a couple planes that sit in the corner collecting dust. I am a tinkerer myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10979_408.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	7375  
Old 05-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Dazzler

Scotty, I know all those arent yours, or are they? If they are list what they are from left to right. thanks, Daz...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.