Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo Glitching

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Glitching

Old 12-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Fatboydrvr
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Glitching

I have two airplanes, I am experiencing the same problem in both. When under load, one channel glitches. Example, in my Pitts, if I move the rudder, the aileron servos glitch. In my decathlon, if I move the elevator, the rudder glitches. I thought it could be a low battery, due to a load being placed, but I fully charged, then tried again. The servos are GWS, not impressed with these servos yet, but will they also cause the glitch? I have the antenna wire running under the plane and straight to the back. I walk a little distance away, extend antenna, retract antenna, no change. Help, its pissing me off!!! [:@]
Old 12-06-2003, 12:18 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Servo Glitching

ORIGINAL: Fatboydrvr

I have two airplanes, I am experiencing the same problem in both. When under load, one channel glitches. Example, in my Pitts, if I move the rudder, the aileron servos glitch. In my decathlon, if I move the elevator, the rudder glitches. I thought it could be a low battery, due to a load being placed, but I fully charged, then tried again. The servos are GWS, not impressed with these servos yet, but will they also cause the glitch? I have the antenna wire running under the plane and straight to the back. I walk a little distance away, extend antenna, retract antenna, no change. Help, its pissing me off!!! [:@]
Have you tried an actual range check? A lot of radios do funny things when the tx is too close to the rx. Have you tried plugging in difference servos to see if the problem still exists? Try ruling out some more stuff and see if that doesn't give you an answer.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the rcvr. is well away from the batt. The antenna too. That can do weird things.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:25 PM
ballgunner

Is the problem a real glitch such as opposite throw, partial throw without TX input ? Sometimes a servo will jitter, just small movements from side to side. If that's the case the servo just needs a new pot. cafeenman has the best suggestion for checking the problem. Fit in another servo and see if the problem is still there. If it is, the problem is not in the servo.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Fatboydrvr

On one, if I move the elevator up and down, the rudder (no input) moves back and forth, about 1/4 - 1/2", on the other, if I move the aileron and try to hold it, the aileron continues to jitter, shake back and forth slightly, then will quit. I will try a different servo. They both however are brand new. I did have the battery close to the antenna, so I will relocate it.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

Check to see if there is any metal to metal contact in the plane, another is the antenna being close to pushrods, I have had that problem before. Is your TX antenna screwed all the way in? Check your crystals. Have you ruled out radio interfearance?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Kaos Rulz

I have a Futaba system that jitters a lot when the flight pack battery is fully charged. In fact i can't even get a good range check because everything jitters so bad. After a flight, or two, all the servos are rock steady, and a range check is possible with good results. The servos act as though they are being swampped until the voltage is off it's peak.

Try discharging your flight pack the equivelant of a couple of flights and see if the jitters are still there.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Fatboydrvr

I bet I have the same situation. I have 6v battery packs, I will draw them down somewhat and see if this works. I put a fully charged pack in yesterday, and you know what? It was worse.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:00 PM
ballgunner

Ed Stefan you have hit on something I never considered. The rudder on my sailboat exhibits the same characteristics on a 6V 1100 MaH pack. I thought it was just that the servo is an old Futaba S148. Fortunately a little jitter in a sailboat rudder doesn't have the fatal effect that it would on an airplane. Thanks.