Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

B&B Super smoke system question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

B&B Super smoke system question

Old 12-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Thunderhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&B Super smoke system question

I recently got a B&B smoke system from an individual and didnt recieved any directions or manuals. I went to B&B's site but didnt find any info. Can any one lead me to where I could get the directions or where I can find some documentation?
Thanx,
Derik
Old 12-09-2003, 11:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: B&B Super smoke system question

First, the B&B only works with Gasoline engines. You must tap the crankcase, if you call B&B, they will tell you where to drill the hole for your particular engine.

Then, set up like this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28051.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	81173  
Old 12-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Thunderhead

Im aware that it only works on gas. I bought a G62 that was tapped and the smoke system and smoke muffler came with it. I would like to read the instructions for it. Ive got questions like how close does the pump need to be to the engine. What size tubing do they recommend. Travel on the servo that runs the flow restrictor. Burn rate of smoke and ideal tank size. I just thought someone would have the directions and could scan and send them to me or show me where I could find and print them out online.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:28 PM
MinnFlyer

Ok, you're all set then (tapping the crankcase is the trickiest part).

Here's what you need to do:

You need two sizes of tubing, One is standard fuel line (If your smoke fuel will be petroleum based, your tubing must be compatable). The other, I believe is 3/8". The large tubing can be gotten at most hardware stores. Bring the pump with you to match size.

You will also need 2 reducers (available at Auto Part store) to go from the 3/8 (?) tubing to the standard size. Again, bring a sample of each tube to match sizes.

My last drawing left out the on-off valve (I knew I was forgetting something). So here is a newer version.

As far as servo throw, you have plenty of room for error. The valve must move only about 3/8", but it can move much more with no ill effects. See pic 2.

I use a 10 oz tank, and it is enough for an adequate amount of smoke per flight. Using some type of restrictor is a must, because too much flow will cool the muffler and won't smoke properly. By having a means of constricting the flow, you can adjust it for the right amount, which will also make your oil last much longer.

PS I no longer have my directions, but as I recall, they weren't much help at all.

Name:	Zx70233.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	81291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70096.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	81292  
Old 12-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Thunderhead

Ok, sounds simple enough. Thanks.
Now another couple of questions. Whats the purpose of the check valve?
Also, my pump maybe needing rebuilt. If I blow on the line comming from the crankcase, it seems plugged. Im not sure how much pressure the crank case puts out, but no matter how hard I blow on the tubing, I cannot get any flow. For *****s and giggles, I blew on the end comming from the smoke tank. I get flow and the line from the crank case has a SLIGHT (I mean SLIGHT) draw to it. Its this correct? Or does it sound like it needs rebuilt?
Thanx,
Derik
P.S.
What program are you using to make your illustrations with, if you dont mind me askin'
Old 12-12-2003, 01:08 PM
MinnFlyer

All sounds normal.

Blowing into the line from the crankcase won't do anything. That line needs a very rapid pulsing pressure I was going to try to explain it, but another picture will save me a few thousand words. Give me some time to whip one up.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:53 PM
MinnFlyer

Ok, here we go...

That pump (which, by the way, is nothing more than a fuel pump from a snowmobile) has 2 chambers seperated by a rubber diaphram. The niples to the tank and muffler have check valves, so that fluid can only go IN from the tank side, and only go OUT from the muffler side.

Rapid puleses from the crankcase move the rubber diaphram back and forth. As the diaphram is pulled, it creates a low pressure area inside the pump, this draws oil in from the tank. With each pulse of pressure, the diaphram is pushed, which forces the oil out to the muffler.

PS, my mistake again... the check valve is not really necessary with the B&B system (Seeing as how the pump already has two of them).

Name:	Zz77808.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	81759