Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need someone to ID this plane.....

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need someone to ID this plane.....

Old 12-15-2003, 10:57 AM
mcvickj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need someone to ID this plane.....

I am not exactly sure where to start. My uncle picked this plane up from an auction a while back with the intentions of fixing it up and flying it. The project was moved to the back burner and that is where it stayed for a few years. During the process of getting ready to move he found the plane and was going to throw it away but gave it to me. My experience with airplanes is pretty much non-existent but I have always wanted to learn. In this auction lot there was also a Dynaflite Piece O'Cake ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1353628/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1353628]Click Here for that post.[/link]) which I am currently working on.

I am looking for as much information as possible about this plane. I have absolutly no idea what the make and model is. What size engine do you think it will take? I am hoping by posting a few pictures someone might recognize the plane.

[link=http://www.jrmcvicker.com/Plane/plane.htm]Click here to see more pictures of this plane.[/link]

By looking at that pictures via the link above you can see this plane needs some TLC. The wing has two holes the size of a half dollar and the skin on the underside of the right wing is destroyed. There are also spots on the fuselage where the skin is peeling apart. My question is what is the safest course of action to remove the old skin and install new skin? Once the old skin is removed is there any prep work I would have to do to install the new skin.

-JR
Old 12-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Closterman

Default RE: Need someone to ID this plane.....

It's look like a Midwest Aerostar.... but a lot of trainer are the same look ! [&:]
Old 12-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like one of the Great Planes PT series. Good flyers. A recover looks in order. Good way to inspect for damage as well. What's the wing span? [&:]
Old 12-15-2003, 03:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess would be a PT-40 also
Old 12-15-2003, 07:14 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

It might be an AAMCO (Andrews) S-Ray. I think the PT40 is a derivative of the S-Ray when Great plains bought the Andrews line. Need some side views to get a better idea.

Paul
Old 12-15-2003, 09:40 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

If the windsheild is long and @35 deg it's a midwest, if the windsheild is @ at 45 degree angle it's probibly a pt series.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Live Wire

The A Ray was an Aeleron trainer, A Ray S Ray and H ray, Took a 29 engine for A 19 for S and H.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:58 PM
dasflugmodele

mcvickj
I got one of tyhese from my son. He got it in a trade. I am not positive but I believe it was made by great planes . Mine was covered with some plastic crap that wasn't stuck on very well. The airfoil on mine was about as good as a board. Flat wingtips, not tapered or rounded. It flew like a dog about three times. Nomatter what I did with it it was a dog. It came apart on take off the last time. Apparently whoever built it, assembled it did not like glue. If your plane has a leading edge that is 1" solid balsa and there are two spars about 3/8 x 1/2 in then I think we have (did have) the same thing. Good luck with yours.
dasflugmodele
Old 12-16-2003, 05:55 PM
mcvickj

I'm sorry guys. I thought I clicked the box to be notified of replies but I must have missed it.

Doug D. - The wing spand is just short of 5 ft.

MinnFlyer - I was flipping through my TowerHobbies magazine and noticed the Grate Plane PT series. I thought it looked a lot like the PT-40 or PT-60 series

RCPAUL - I will try to get some more side shots up tonight after work.

planebuilder66 - I am not exactly sure what you are talking about. Are you talking about the front of the plane?

dasflugmodele - I can tell you the edge of the wing closest to the engine area is rounded over. I will try to get a better picture of this also.

-JR
Old 12-16-2003, 07:27 PM
JohnBuckner

Great Planes PT-20 or PT-Electric. 56" wingspan, rounded windshield area, .15 to .25 engines, No 'D' tube wing sheeting but stringers forward of main spar, Same size and configuration as PT-Electric but stouter structure. That one needs lots of TLC.

John
Old 12-16-2003, 07:44 PM
phread59

With the wood beam engine mount and turbulator spars it is almost assuredly a PT 40. I have one that is a very early version. It looks exactly as yours does. It is a very good and tough plane. It is a great flier and will serve you well.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-17-2003, 10:41 PM
mcvickj

So it sounds like most are saying this is a PT-40. I am assuming the 40 means it will need at least a .40 engine? What about a prop?

JohnBuckner - What do you exactly mean when you say "That one needs lots of TLC." I know it needs to be covered. Could you give me some hints.

Here are some additional pictures.

Could anyone tell me what is the perferred method to remove the old sink? After I remove the old skin, is there anything I need to do to get it ready for the new skin?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:27 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Certainly looks like a Great Planes PT-40 to me.

Get a 46 size engine. A decent 40 would fly it fine, but you'll want a little extrra power later on. (It was my trainer and I flew it with an older OS .40 FP, which is similar to the OS 40 LA of today.)

Props. For a 40, get a 10 X 6 and an 11 X 5, for the 46 a 10 X 6, an 11 X 5, and maybe an 11 X 6.

You might be able to just pick at and peel the covering off. Heating it just a bit might help, but it might also cause adhesive residue to stick to the wood.

I would buy a can of Balsarite and give the entire plane a coat before re-covering. Balsarite is a liquid adhesive made for covering and will help the new covering to adgere better.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 12-18-2003, 02:55 AM
JohnBuckner

Don,t buy an engine just yet, Measure the wingspan.

PT-Electric 56"
PT-20 52.75"
PT-40 60"
PT-60 71"

The PT-Electric is the only one in the series with a rounded down windshield like that instead of flat Also the only one without a dorsal fin.

John
Old 12-18-2003, 10:34 AM
mcvickj

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Don,t buy an engine just yet, Measure the wingspan.

PT-Electric 56"
PT-20 52.75"
PT-40 60"
PT-60 71"

The PT-Electric is the only one in the series with a rounded down windshield like that instead of flat Also the only one without a dorsal fin.

John

Here is a shot of me measuring the wing length. It was just short of the 60" mark. I'm sure if I had someone else to hold down the measuring tape while I took that shot it would have came out to be 60" exactly. Of course I will double check my measurement when I get home from work today. Again thanks for all of the help.

-JR
Old 12-18-2003, 11:59 AM
JohnBuckner

OK that confirms it. It is a PT-40 and it may be the rounded down windshield was on early versions. Like DB Cherry said any .40 engine will serve well with a .46 being a more popular choice. The most important thing to do now is get with a local club and find a mentor (instructor) who will help guide you through the refurbishment and learning to fly as well as make and model engine/radios to buy. This airplane should serve you well.

John
Old 12-27-2003, 05:18 PM
jdavies300s

looks like a pt-40 to me. a good engine would be the evolution .46. it's a good running engine, and served me well in my alpha. i only had 1 dead stick landing with it, due to the muffler coming loose! good luck with the plane. oh-yea, definitly find a local flying club and get instruction on building/flying. i got out of flying for a couple years and i was suprised how much stuff i forgot. it's the easiest way to learn without going through 3 different planes to get the basics down!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:45 AM
chines
My Feedback: (2)

its a tower trainer...LOL kinda looks like mine in the bones