Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Transition to warbirds

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Transition to warbirds

Old 12-15-2003, 04:54 PM
CraigM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transition to warbirds

I currently fly a Tiger 60. It is my second plane. My goal is to fly warbirds, so I'm wondering what would make a good plane to build and fly next. Should I just move to a warbird, like the Top Flite P47? I've heard that this is an easy flying warbird but requires landing with power rather than floating in like the Tiger. I'm wondering if there's a plane that is somewhere between the Tiger 60 and the P47 in flying characteristics that I should try first.

I'm looking for a kit rather than an ARF, since I also want to get more building experience.

Thanks for any suggestions and opinions.

Craig
Old 12-15-2003, 05:24 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Transition to warbirds

You could do a TF gold edition war bird, but they are going to be a tad harder to fly than what you are used to. If you get help with it, you can pick it up. Make sure to build it light and straight. That makes a big differencce. The P-47 and P-51s will snap roll quick if you slow them down too much. Take them up high, practice stalls and how to recover and have help from someone that knows how to land them well and you will be fine.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Live Wire

War bird's are different, remember you have to fly them out of what you put them in to, they need power to take off and power to land. Good luck and stay on your toe's!
PS learn to work your throttle before you go Scale. $.02
Old 12-15-2003, 11:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the GP 40 size P-51:

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0175.html

It uses the same airfoil as the Ultra Sport. It is still an advanced plane, but much easier than scale warbirds. (Lot's of fun too! Set it up with flaps and retracts!)
Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 AM
CraigM

Thanks for the input, everyone. My winter project is what I'm trying to decide on and I appreciate your help.

Craig