Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Polyurethane over Solartex?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Polyurethane over Solartex?

Old 12-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Bob101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane over Solartex?

I'm fixing to cover a plane with Solartex, and I'm usually a monokote/ultracote kind of guy.

Can anyone recommend a clear polyurethane I can spray over it to help with cleanup (I've heard if you don't it's hard to get "stuff" out of the weave). I want something like an aersol spray instead of having to spray out of my gun. Nothing really available locally so I"m gonna have to order it. Never sprayed any polyurethane on anything before.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Ernie Misner

Default RE: Polyurethane over Solartex?

If you head for the paint isle in Home Depot or Lowe's you will find a plentiful selection of polyurethane, both in brush or wipe on cans, AND in aerosol cans. Miniwax is one of the popular brands you will find. It comes in a gloss and in a satin clear finish, your choice. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.... should be great. I know that lots of folks are using the spray to fuel proof decals, pin strips, et.

Ernie
Old 12-16-2003, 04:51 AM
Mac-

Default RE: Polyurethane over Solartex?

ORIGINAL: Bob101

I'm fixing to cover a plane with Solartex, and I'm usually a monokote/ultracote kind of guy.

Can anyone recommend a clear polyurethane I can spray over it to help with cleanup (I've heard if you don't it's hard to get "stuff" out of the weave). I want something like an aersol spray instead of having to spray out of my gun. Nothing really available locally so I"m gonna have to order it. Never sprayed any polyurethane on anything before.

Any good quality branded polyurethane varnish will do. If you decide to brush it on , as I did with my 'Pup', it may help to apply a thinned first coat followed by a second coat after 24 hours.
My Pup is Solartex covered and this has worked fine for me!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91537.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	82694