Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

YS Engine Or ....?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

YS Engine Or ....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Flying Frog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS Engine Or ....?

I am building an GP Extra 300. The hobby shop I go to will sell me a new YS 91 for $259.00 (left over, he wants to get rid of it). I know that this is a discontinued engine, but is it a good engine. Would I be better off purchasing a Satio or O.S. 120? I wish statistics were available that could tell me the power of the YS engine. So, what should I do?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS Engine Or ....?

Sounds like a decent deal to me. Yes YS engines are known for there power and quality. For that price get it before it gets away !!! [&:]
Old 12-16-2003, 07:40 PM
phread59

Hello Frog:

I have personally never owned a YS engine. But I do own 2 Saito 120's. I have been very pleased with them. If the price you get for the YS is equal to or less than a Saito I would say go for it. YS engines have a reputation for both quality and power. but I have also read that they can be finicky. And require a lot of maintainance and adjusting. I have no experience with them but am only repeating what I have read here and in magazines. Iether way you go I fell you will do fine. Best of luck.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-16-2003, 08:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a YS 91AC in my GP Extra. The combination was Awesome.

And it was never "Finicky". Never had a single problem with that engine. I'm still running it in my Skybolt.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Spaceclam

get the ys. if you can afford it (i believe in saving up and buying the best i possibly can) get the 110. it's a little more pricey, but i am absolutely in love with that engine. was about as broken in on the 2nd tank of fuel as it is now, has the best inverted idle. it just sat there and ticked all day like a harley. it was well worth the extra money paid. the os engines are good and reliable, bu their inverted idle doesn't compare and their power to weight ratio looks like a mistake compared to ys. the best part is that the ys engines are even more reliable i think and for their thrust, fuel consumption is very low. they are absolutely works of art. however, read through all reviews of ys engines and read their manual many times through. because of the pressurized fuel injection system and the turbocharging effect they have employed, tuning them is certain doom if you treat them like any other 4 stroke engine. just because you have tuned every other four stroke in the world doesn't mean you can tune this. they aren't really difficult to tune, but you have to tune them much differently than you are used to.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The engine is a good choice and Central Hobbies will have all the parts you need.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:27 AM
spuck5644

Hey Frog,
Both the SAITO and YS are excellent mfrs and produce very high quality engines. We own and fly both. Most of my history has been with YS and I have never had a bad one. the .91 and the 1.20 are awesome powerhouses, (especially the FZ versions). The SAITO's have the advantage in the wt. dept. You'd be extremely well served by either. The quick answer to your original question is BUY IT.
Steve
Old 12-17-2003, 08:01 PM
David Cutler

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I had a YS 91AC in my GP Extra. The combination was Awesome.

And it was never "Finicky". Never had a single problem with that engine. I'm still running it in my Skybolt.
Hi Minn.

I reckon most of this talk about 'finicky' YSs is due to the fact that, unlike any other engine I can think of, when adjusting the slow speed jet you must rev it up for a few seconds between each adjustment, or you will end up 'chasing' the setting and probably never settle on the correct mixture.

-David C.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, I do that regardless of the brand of engine. Just makes sense to me
Old 12-18-2003, 12:18 AM
DBCherry

If you ask me, the YS 91 has power comparable to an OS or Saito 1.20. So I say, get it!
Dennis-
Old 12-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Spaceclam

not to mention the 110.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Flying Frog

Thanks, I am getting the YS 91. I wouldn't mind going to an 110 but the hobby shop where I am getting the 91 is selling it to me that cheap just to get it off thier shelf. They stopped making the 91 and the owner just wants to get rid of it. I asked several people in the club that I belong to for advice, but i feel like they are not giving me very acurate answers. They would never suggest anything but satio because that is the only four stoke any flys around here (which is why the YS has been on the shelf so long).
Thanks everyone

Happy Flying
Old 12-18-2003, 05:30 PM
DBCherry

Just don't let them Saito flyers touch your needle valves, follow the instructions!
Dennis-
Old 12-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Spaceclam

trust me. i was a skeptical os diehard. about 2 months ago i went to ys and couldn't have been happier.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:31 PM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

I have 6 YS engines from the 63's to the 120's and love every one of them. Once you learn to tune them you will never go back to Saito or O.S. again. And yes, I also have several of the others too. Enjoy!!!
Old 12-20-2003, 03:22 AM
Capgains

It's funny how people who fly together seem to buy the same equipment and planes. YS engines are great, and my first choice. You ought to see if you can get the hobby shop owner to order in a 140, then when it sits on the shelf long enough you can get that one at a great price.

Of course after the Saito guys see you ripping it up with the 91, that 140 might disappear. Better fly at night, or alone.

Dan
Old 12-26-2003, 12:55 PM
avngr1

I have a YS.63 and it is hands down the BEST ENGINE I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!
Loads of power, killer low idle. Follow the instructions. I drool over the 110. It ticks like a fine watch at idle.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:43 AM
crossed thumbs-delete

Like everyone has said do not adjust a YS very fast. Make small Adjustment and wait a couple of minutes then cycle the throtle. Also make sure the fuel sustem is completly air tight. Preasure check the fuel system if you can. Check the engine assembly bolts for tightness also. This is critical for a YS to perform corectly.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Spaceclam

but when they perform.....