Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

scaling monokote?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

scaling monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:06 PM
ganu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scaling monokote?

I've came across a .60 tf corsair that I'm getting close to finishing up. I am going to use monokote 'cause I want that extra tensile strength (especially where the skin is thinner than I like) and I would like a two or three tone scheme. Not interested in learning how to fiberglass yet. A friend suggested covering in aluminum and then getting lustercote to get that multi-tone effect. Then the paint on the leading edges and elsewhere could be pick off before the final clear coat, leaving a weathered look. Sounds good in theory but how practical is that?

Gary
Old 12-17-2003, 12:28 AM
CafeenMan

Default RE: scaling monokote?

Sounds like more of a pain than fiberglass for something that won't look as good as fiberglass.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

I've done that a couple times and it turned out great. I used Chevron Perfect paint once and Krylon the second time. Both times it worked perfectly except the paint doesn't peel or chip off like you might think. Make sure you lightly sand the Monokote with 400 grit. This method is far easier than fiberglassing but will not not add as much durability (or weight) as glassing does. If you are not going to Top Gun with your Corsair, you will be more than pleased with the results. By the way, a really great way to glass an airplane uses no fiberglass or resin. Instead use silkspan and clear waterbased polyutethane. Easy and perfect results every time.

Yak
Old 12-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Highflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote][I am going to use monokote 'cause I want that extra tensile strength (especially where the skin is thinner than I like) /quote]

Monocote will not give you that extra strength. it is some of the easiest stuff to tear I have ever seen (besides the tissue stuff) plus it doesnt look scale, it just looks like plastic
take a piece of it, make a little cut on an edge, then watch how easily it tears
glassing the fuse would look the best but if you dont want to do that, go with a fabric: 21st century, solartex, or my favorate, Sig Koverall with a dope finish.
with a plane that nice, it would be a shame to use a plastic covering
hope this helps
Old 12-17-2003, 11:21 PM
ganu

Thanks for all the responses. I'm wanting to keep the covering simple and easy 'cause I only have experience with monokote (and not that much) and don't want to learn a new skill on a project like this. The plane has gotten hanger rash here and there (ie; the heal of my hand going through the skin from grabbing it in the wrong place.) I thought that monokote would help against that but I may be wrong. I'll consider all that has been said.

Gary