Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pro-Bond Glue,Experience?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pro-Bond Glue,Experience?

Old 12-16-2003, 11:18 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Bond Glue,Experience?

Have been using it lot recently and real happy with it.Been using Pro-Bond due to easier availaability and lot less cost than Gorilla glue.Doing an ARF now just thinking of bonding wings together with it.Seems to do anything epoxy will do.Only fault so far is the slow dry time.Like the expansion for filling in rough surfaces too.Just wondering how others are feeling about using it?What happens to thin it to use to paint an engine compartment as you would do with epoxy.Not sure if can be thinned even?Thanks.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:03 AM
r degen

Default RE: Pro-Bond Glue,Experience?

I used it for the first time to sheet the foam surfaces of my 35% extra the glue is great! Also used it to glue in the robart hinge points. I don't think I would use it to fuel proof the engine compartment stick with epoxy. Randy
Old 12-17-2003, 09:26 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

pro bond is also great for sheeting foam wings,you put it on both peices and skim the most of it off with a credit card and sheet the wings and put them back in the shucks and weight them down overnight and have great looking skins in the morning
Old 12-17-2003, 09:34 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

3DD....

I use PRO BOND for all of my foam sheeting....I would never put it on BOTH PIECES. Cover the foam with the PRO BOND with a VERY THIN coating and you have PLENTY of glue. Covering both pieces is just adding weight
Old 12-17-2003, 09:45 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

When you sheet foam wings using ProBond do you dampen the foam at all? I have heard that is a good idea to make sure all the glue is activated.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:12 AM
onewasp

Pro Bond recently changed their name to ULTIMATE ---- same stuff same mfgr. just a marketing change-----probably because a few other glue types in their line also were Pro Bond "------" but that's just a guess.

I know the instructions say "---wipe both surfaces with a damp cloth about one minute before------
I did my own tests and the result is I do not dampen the surfaces.

The original post asked about wing joining. I have dropped epoxy from my engine mounting area in favor of Pro Bond/Ultimate but I've never joined wings with it as I jig build in one piece. Should work fine though as it out performs epoxy on engine mounting according to my tests ---- which included a 375* heat soak.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:56 AM
r degen

Yes I just use a damp rag and wipe down the foam or use a spray bottle and a light mist.
ORIGINAL: RAMFlyer

When you sheet foam wings using ProBond do you dampen the foam at all? I have heard that is a good idea to make sure all the glue is activated.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Rubbie

I have even used it to glue formers in a fibreglas fuse .25 sized jet and it worked great. That stuff is great a little goes a long way. Usally spray a light mist of H2O on everthing I glue doesn't seem to hurt even when I forget. That goes for the Wings skinning too.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I have joined wings with it and use it all the time on Robart hinge points. The few times I used it for sheeting, I applied it to the wood only, as per directions from a very experienced builder of 40% planes. Here in Florida I have never had to moisten anything first.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Default Moisten or Not to Moisten

Deceiding to mist the cores with water or not depends on where you are and what time of year it is. Probond needs a certain amount of humidity to react. In Florida, you would never need to mist the cores. In the midwest, normally you are OK not misting in the summer, but would want to in the winter because the heating system in your house or shop is drying out the air. In Arizona, you would probably need to mist it year round.

Also, I would not use it to fuel proof mainly because it foams and would make the engine compartment look pretty bad.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:18 AM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Moisten or Not to Moisten

I once tried misting, then bagging the wings with ProBond.
Laid out the wing in the cradles while curing.
When I removed them from the bag, the wings were straight.
After about 15 minutes, they were warped.

Did some tests to confirm it was because of the misting. This is the case. Contest balsa seems to be affected most.

I just bagged some wings without misting here in western PA in my heated basement. I assure you it is VERY dry as the soles of my feet are flaking off. Pro Bond cures just fine.

If you sheet your wings and cure just in the shucks (no vac bagging), you may be able to get away with misting without warping.

You might get less foaming if you're using pro-bond in a very dry climate without misting, but I would avoid misting on wing sheeting.

Now if I could only use ProBond on my feet.