Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Bonding Monokote to Monokote over glass?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Bonding Monokote to Monokote over glass?

Old 12-19-2003, 06:50 PM
KatManDEW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonding Monokote to Monokote over glass?

What's the trick to ironing two pieces of Monokote together on a piece of glass before applying the two joined pieces to the aircraft?

I've tried many many many experiments on pieces of scrap, Monokote with totally unacceptable results. In most cases the two joined pieces pull apart with almost not applied force. I've had pieces of Monokote stick together better over wood with just the heat from my finger after pressing them together.

If I iron two pices together over wood, the adhesion is so good that it destroys both pieces when I try to seperate them, but every attempt I have made ironing pieces together over glass has been a dismal failure.

I've heated the two pieces so hot that I had to wait 5-10 minutes for the glass to cool down. I've cleaned the bottom piece with alcohol, Windex and Trim Solvent. (I've also had no success using trim solvent......)

Please HELP!

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Sprink

Default RE: Bonding Monokote to Monokote over glass?

If I read your post right, you are trying to join two smaller pieces to make on larger piece right?

This is how I did it (using profilm/ultracote):

I did mine on my normal cutting board rather than glass, it is flat enough for me.

I took the backing off the piece to go on top, and laid it down on the board, with the non stick side up. Then I laid down the bottom piece, with its backing still on. I laid a ruler allong the edge to be joined to keep it flat. Then I laid the other piece down, and laid another ruller allong the edge of that to keep it in place. Then used my normal low heat just stick no shrink setting on my Iron, and carefully tacked down the top piece to the bottom. Once happy went over again to ensure a good seal all along.

Hope this helps
Old 12-20-2003, 10:37 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

I too have tried, without success to do the "glass thing". My guess as to why it did not work for me was that the glass was acting as a heat-sink and not allowing the adhesive to get hot enough. I gave up on that method.

As far as the trim solvent, the key is to use VERY LITTLE of the solvent. Put just enough on the Monokote to be barely visible. No need to douse it on, it makes a big mess. If you use the right amount, you can actually pull two pieces apart right after joining if they were not positioned properly. Be careful when you go to put your completed joined panel on the plane. When you apply heat to the joined panels, they tend to pull apart before you know it. I did a beautiful job of striping on the bottom wing for my Extra 300s alternating blue and white joined with solvent method. When I went to apply and shrink it, all the colors pulled apart! Needless to say, I was upset after the hours of work!! Now I apply a solid color base and put my other colors on top. The weight gain is negligable.

Pilgrim
Old 12-20-2003, 12:17 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

have done this several times, using an piece of glass as base overlap about 1/4 inch and I use the trim iron. start at one side and tack every 3 to 4 inches then go over entire length and iron down. you may have to experiment with iron temp. this has worked well for me.

good luck
joe
Old 12-20-2003, 05:39 PM
KatManDEW
My Feedback: (6)

WHOO HOO!!! I got it to work! Thanks for all the tips!!!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:21 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Use a temp jsut hot enough to join them, don't let teh iron sit too long...
Old 12-22-2003, 12:00 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do it on glass, with the iron set just about as hot as it will go. Take the backing off both pieces and do like said above to get it straight, tacking about every 3 inches. Then put the shoe over the entire splice and move it slowly down the splice. I just more than 1/4 inch most of the time. Then carefully pull it off the glass and you won't be able to pull it apart.