Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Old tissue n dope covering proving a pain!!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Old tissue n dope covering proving a pain!!

Old 12-20-2003, 02:31 PM
cometravi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old tissue n dope covering proving a pain!!

Hi I have this 2M ship (sophisticated lady) which was covered in tissue n dope a while back. When i acquired it its covering was going in many places etc etc. I now wanna cover it with monokote and the problem is that i cant get the old tissue and dope covering off (@@@%#%#&&). Its nicely stuck on to the ribs and fuse and everywhere. How do i get the remnants of this old covering (tissue n dope) off so that I can make my ship a good looker!!

Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Slacker

Default RE: Old tissue n dope covering proving a pain!!

Try lightly sanding it, after you get as much of the tissue/dope off as you can.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:52 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually it works better if you use a rag with dope thinner and soften the dope. It would help to know what brand of dope was used as the properties of each brand are a little different. Another thing to consider is the use of dope restorer from Brodak which softens the dope and may let you get the old stuff off easier.
At any rate a dope finish is not the easiest thing to get cleaned off, but then it never sags when left out in the sun or damp basement either.
Dennis
Old 12-20-2003, 08:22 PM
CafeenMan

Never heard of anyone who thought monokote looks better than dope before???

Use acetone or thinner to remove as much as possible, and then sand.

YOu know... there's a place where people like you go when you die.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:09 AM
cometravi

thanks for the replies will try that... btw the tissue dope is coming cracked in many places and i have never used tissue n dope for covering..only monokote...BTW which place is that!!! hope it rocks...oops flies!!!
Old 12-21-2003, 02:26 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: cometravi
BTW which place is that!!!
Let's just say that if there were balsa there (which there isn't), kilns wouldn't be needed.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:49 PM
kdheath

Acetone works great for loosening old dope, and is a lot cheaper than dope thinner. I use a brush and dribble it along the rib from the backside (inside?), wait, and keep it wet. After a while it'll peel off. Let it dry and sand it. If the wing was built with Ambroid or other solvent based glue, some joints may loosen up, too.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:50 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Work is what you do for the love of it. My work is model-building. A job is what I do so I can afford to do my work.

That is one of the best signatures that I have ever read. It's so good I almost want to steal it
Only a man of some years of experience could come up with something so good. Dennis
Old 12-22-2003, 01:17 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: dennis

Work is what you do for the love of it. My work is model-building. A job is what I do so I can afford to do my work.

That is one of the best signatures that I have ever read. It's so good I almost want to steal it
Only a man of some years of experience could come up with something so good. Dennis
LOL... thanks Dennis. Somebody actually pm'd me once and asked if he could use it too. I basically said, 'you can do what you want, but you should probably come up with something of your own.'