Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Winter engine advice

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Winter engine advice

Old 12-20-2003, 11:24 PM
crgabel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter engine advice

I want to fly this winter and have read that engine temps should be in the 300 degree range. Also the same artical mentioned aluminum tape wraped around cylinder to allow it to run at warmer temp. Any help on this topic would be welcome.
Craig
Old 12-21-2003, 12:31 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Winter engine advice

Craig, honestly, just go fly like you did all summer, except you'll need gloves. In the 2 clubs I belong to I have never seen anyone do anything special to their motors. You'll probably have to richen up your engine a bit and give it a minute or 2 to warm up before you fly.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:47 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I noticed my throttle response go down when it got colder. Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:27 PM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

i havent seen anyone do anything different just that the engine is very hard to start and needs to be warmed up longer. all of your batteries need to be fully charged the starter doesnt turn as fast when the engine is cold and wont hold charge as long.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds like your throttle response problem is the same that I had the other day. It appears that not only do you have to run a little richer on the highspeed needle, but I will bet you need to richen up the low end needle as well. It was 34 degrees, and I just got the snow skis mounted on my UltraStick 60.

You can make starting a little easier if you shoot a little lighter fluid into the carb when starting out. make sure you let the engine warm up, the most common mistake is to tune the engine while the metals are cold, then in the air the metals will heat up to operating temp, and expand, and you will be lean.

Have fun,

Dan
Old 12-22-2003, 03:39 AM
3DFanatic

Lighter fluid? I use diesel starting fluid (ether) Cranks right up!

I had to lean out my low end, was loading up in the cold... Did richen the high end a bit. Got pretty good performance today. THen it was a tad warmer but...
Old 12-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I think 300 degrees is a little warm for an engine.
While I don't know about glow engines, my gas engine runs at around 185 degrees.

ORIGINAL: crgabel

I want to fly this winter and have read that engine temps should be in the 300 degree range. Also the same artical mentioned aluminum tape wraped around cylinder to allow it to run at warmer temp. Any help on this topic would be welcome.
Craig
Old 12-22-2003, 04:20 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Craig, remember now that cold air is more dense so it will need alittle more fuel in the mix. You'll also notice your plane flies better and glides better in the cold.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Capgains

Yeah, mine glided two times the other day when I went to throttle up, and it just didn't happen. Never heard of wrapping the cylinder in foil before. Sounds like something that truck drivers do when they cover part of the ******** on their rigs this time of year. Doesn't sound like an exact science to me.

Dan
Old 12-22-2003, 07:13 PM
luvtofly
My Feedback: (1)

Does anybody change fuel? More or less nitro!!
Old 12-22-2003, 11:05 PM
3DFanatic

I use 15% all year long.

From what I've read, 300° is cold for a glow 2-stroker. I read an article on tuning that indicated 400 [X(]
Old 12-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Rubbie

Craig if you can keep your flight box in the car it keeps the fuel and your starter battery warm, use a little lighter fluid in your carb on the first flight or everyflight if is really cold and you went to your car to warm up and you left the plane outside. Ya you will have to retune but you will have a blast. I enjoy flying in the winter a little better, only the diehards fly now. You may want to pick up one of those receiver gloves that you see advertised around that is probably one of the best investments I made for winter flying, and get some ski goggles. I found with just plane glasses the wind made me tear to easily and the goggles kept my eyes dry, and they look cool too.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:49 PM
crgabel

Capgains, I read of the aluminum trick in Fly RC October issue pg. 24. The other day i ran the Saito 80 in 28degree temp and could only get the temp to 180 without the aluminum wrap. I had to question the 300 mark as well. Seemed to have good power.

Rubbie, Thanks for the car tip, sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!
Craig
Old 12-24-2003, 02:19 AM
Capgains

Oh cool, I just bought that mag the other day, I'll have to check that out. 300 seems a little hot. I thought that was why we are running alcohol based fuel with nitro in it, to keep a cool running 2 cycle. Doesn't silicon melt somewhere around 300?
Old 12-24-2003, 02:27 AM
Capgains

Default What the...

Does anyone know why a word in the post I made above was ********* out? It wasn't a bad word because when I mean to say those types of words I do this: *%$$##% It's much more artistic, and takes some imagination.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:25 PM
murphyj

Default RE: What the...

We live just north of the 53 parallel. We've been flying quite a bit this winter. Last weekend the temperatures were in the -12c range with a pretty good windchill.
I've been using an OS46FX.
What we found, in order to have the engine run reasonably well, we increased the nitro from 5% to 15%, tinfoiled the motor and using a slightly smaller prop. As well, off with the goldenrod and changed to 4-40 rod all around for controls, ie elevator and rudder. The golden rod doesn't like the cold weather and has a real tendency to bind and be very unresponsive.
Other than that its a lot of fun!! The plane handles way different on the ground.
Merry Xmas to all
Old 12-24-2003, 03:28 PM
3DFanatic

Whatever were you using 5% for?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:36 PM
crgabel

Rubbie,
Where are you seeing the radio sock??? I've not found them on my normal sites.

Craig
Old 12-25-2003, 10:31 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Hay Craig,
Do a search for TRANSMITTER MITT here or check E-bay.They have them for about $35.00
NEDYOB