Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

aluminum spinners

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

aluminum spinners

Old 12-21-2003, 07:43 PM
moparcolt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum spinners

Does each engine require a specific adapter to use an aluminum spinner. I have a Thunder Tiger Super Decathalon with a Saito .72 and would like to run an aluminum spinner but didn't know what to look for. It has to be 2.25' diameter and the Saito has a 7mmx1 thread on the shaft. [8D]
Old 12-21-2003, 07:47 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: aluminum spinners

www.truturn.com has a great adapter finder tool an more than likely your LHS has it in stock after you find which one you need.

Jason
Old 12-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Stick Jammer

I'm using a Dave Brown 7MMx1 short adapter on mine. Just make sure it's good and tight. The ones by TruTurn are a LOT of hardware.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB955&P=7
Old 12-21-2003, 10:33 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

You should always use a double jam nut adapter on 4 strokes. The Dave Brown will hold a prop on, but I would never trust my hand to it on a Saito 72. I am over saftey concious though and like the added safety and confidance of the double jam nut adapter.

Jason
Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Nylon lock-nut That prop would never come off!
Old 12-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Stick Jammer

Original: SilverEagle2-RCU

You should always use a double jam nut adapter on 4 strokes. The Dave Brown will hold a prop on, but I would never trust my hand to it on a Saito 72. I am over saftey concious though and like the added safety and confidance of the double jam nut adapter.
I have never had a problem using the single nut on my Saitos and know a number of people that haven't either. BUT, make no mistake, it needs to be TIGHT. The biggest problem with a 4-stroke throwing the prop is backfire. If the single nut is tight enough, it ain't commin' loose. I've seen 4-strokes throw the prop even with a double jam nut simply because it wasn't tight enough. As with everything else in this hobby, do what makes you comfortable.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:07 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the suggestion of always using a double jam nut on the 4-strokes. I have a very similar combo: Great Planes Super Decathlon w/ a .72 inverted. I found that the Tru-Turn double jam nut is too long to fit under a 2 1/4" aluminum spinner. They said I would have to use the longer "ultimate" style spinner to fit a 2 1/4" or go up to a 2 1/2" standard style spinner. What I ended up doing is getting the aluminum backplate plastic spinner from Great Planes, and using the original double jam nut that came with the engine.
If you buy a Tru-Turn kit, don't buy the short shaft adapter kit they tell you to use on their website. It was designed for pre-2000 production engines with a shorter crankshaft. If you use the short kit, you need to counterdrill your props using a stepped drill bit (something else to buy and added hassle). If you opt for the long/ultimate aluminum spinner, you can use the standard double jam nut for 7x1mm.

Pilgrim
Old 12-23-2003, 03:57 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

What I did with my Dave Brown spinners and adapters is, Install the back plate and prop with the engine supplied nut and washer...Tight! Take the short adapter nut that fits and chuck it in a drill so the big end is out. Run the drill and sand off the step on the nut on a belt sander. Trial fit the adapter as a double nut Tight and see if the spinner will fit correctly. if not chuck up the big end and sand the adapter down till it fits. You will also probably have to shorten the screw that holds the spinner on.

I have done this several times and works like a charm. The drill and belt sander method keeps everything flat and square where it needs to be.

DEG