Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wing Repair Questions!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing Repair Questions!

Old 12-24-2003, 08:41 AM
LearjetMech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Repair Questions!

Hey Folks!
First I want to wish a Merry Xmas to all and I hope Santa brings all your wants and needs!

Ok here is the situation I have. And I apologize for not being able to post pictures as my camera is 1000 miles from me right now with my brother. Anyway, I have two wings with similar problems. I recieved an old Royal 40T that has a lot of "hangar rash" from being moved several times. A neighbor gave it to me. The wing had a lot of torn covering and I decided to take it off and inspect the internals. What I found was that some of the wing ribs aft of the spar have been compressed and split. I tried to salvage some of the pieces, but it became too complicated. Here is my thought and if someone has an alternative please please chime in! The wing is sheeted on the top and bottom forward of the spar the entire length of the wing. I dont want to remove the sheeting as there is no external damage to it. I was thinking of tracing the rib on the outer tip and manufacturing new ribs. I would then cut the ribs and CA them to the compressed ribs that are damaged, aft of the spar only. This will leave the original rib undisturbed in the "spar box", yet be able to transfer the load to the trailing edge thru my new "half rib". What do you think! I hope I have described this well enough for you to develop a good mental picture.
I have been working diligently on this aircraft trying to get it ready to fly. I plan on "baiting" my boss with it! I'm gonna get him hooked I know. And his wife will hate me forever! The fuse is final sanded. I tore the engine down last night and cleaned it. I need a few gaskets and o-rings and it will be ready. Replaced some stab balsa and made new elevator. Built new vertical stab and new rudder. Now if Santa would bring me that hinge slotter, I could finish the tail. Just have to install control rods to nose and throttle! After I solve this wing dilemma, I can add some new ailerons, and fix the wing servo. Then it will be ready for covering. I look forward to some input! Thanks in advance.
Nikolaus
Old 12-24-2003, 09:07 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Wing Repair Questions!

My first answer would be "Great, go for it!". But, you may want to make the ribs the same shape, but a little "longer" at each end.

Cut them so they can fit a little bit forward of (or between) the spars if possible, and as far back as you can push them. You will probably have to custom fit each one as they are added.

Make sure that the new ribs contact as much of the older crushed ribs as possible. This will give just a little more support to the "Daughter ribs" you plan to make.

Easy on the glue, too. It can add a lot of weight really fast.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:18 AM
LearjetMech

Dick,
Thanks for the quick reply. I plan on using the good ol' thin CA. Also, I plan on replicating the entire full size rib and doing exactly as you mentioned, and cutting off the forward end of the rib. I think I roughly have equally bad ribs on both panels so balance shouldn't be a problem. Plan on using my Alpha 3 blade on this Royal .46, so power should not be a problem! Thanks again!

Nikolaus
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like overkill to me. If the ribs are holding their original shape, why not just add some vertical grain sticks to brace them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62820.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	84964  
Old 12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
LearjetMech

Good thought minn, but unfortunatly most of the ribs look like this!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23177.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	84970  
Old 12-25-2003, 11:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In that case, Your repair description in your first post sounds like the most viable option.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:59 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

BTW, the term is 'sistering'. MikeSell had to do several ribs from a Sweet Stick after a mouse decided to take up residence in the wing, and it worked fine. PM him if you have questions.