Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to wire a switch to change between 12 and 24 volts?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to wire a switch to change between 12 and 24 volts?

Old 12-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wire a switch to change between 12 and 24 volts?

I have a starter that I wire to two 12 volt batteries in series for a total of 24 volts for starting large glow and gas engines. My question is how do I wire a switch to change back and forth between 12 and 24 volts? Can it be done with a two postion switch like a light switch or do I need a switch with three positions?
Old 12-24-2003, 11:16 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: How to wire a switch to change between 12 and 24 volts?

Here are a couple of drawings that I just made up real quick....What you need is ONE switch that is a DOUBLE POLE DOUBLE THROW (DPDT)....The hidden boxes show 1 pole...there are 2 hidden boxes....It will be a TOGGLE type switch that just has one lever to throw, but it switches 2 sets of contacts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18858.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	85038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr97026.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	85039  
Old 12-24-2003, 11:21 PM
feihu-RCU

Bike:

Here is a quick sketch of how to wire a 3 position switch for your purpose. You can use a 2 position switch by eliminating the Off position.

feihu
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25825.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	85040  
Old 12-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Thanks for the info guys. I don't have the correct type switch right now but atleast I know what I need to get.

Kevin
Old 12-24-2003, 11:53 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

feihu's drawing is correct and I am sure would work fine......only difference between his and mine is that mine will DOUBLE the current capacity of the 12 volt battery in the 12 volt position.....Not to mention that it will help maintain an EQUAL CHARGE in both batteries......this may or may not be an issue for you.

Also in FEIHU's drawing, you can accomplish the same thing with a SINGLE POLE DOUBLE THROW (SPDT) switch

Didn't really mean to totally bash his drawing, just trying to help you create the most efficient system
Old 12-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Captain, you are correct, I could figure out how to do it the with one battery for 12 and 2 for 24 but could not figure out how to switch them from parallel to serial. Yours is the way to go. I will have to make note of it someplace! Thanks!

ORIGINAL: CAPtain232

feihu's drawing is correct and I am sure would work fine......only difference between his and mine is that mine will DOUBLE the current capacity of the 12 volt battery in the 12 volt position.....Not to mention that it will help maintain an EQUAL CHARGE in both batteries......this may or may not be an issue for you.

Also in FEIHU's drawing, you can accomplish the same thing with a SINGLE POLE DOUBLE THROW (SPDT) switch

Didn't really mean to totally bash his drawing, just trying to help you create the most efficient system
Old 01-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Aeatkins73

I am building a custom power wheels car for my son. Will this work for my application?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:50 PM
[email protected]

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one thought to remind you, but be sure to use a switch that is rated for the current used by your specific starter. And never throw the switch with the starter activated!
And don't forget a fire extinguisher is always a good ideaE
Old 01-02-2020, 03:57 PM
tedsander

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Or just split the difference and use a 6 cell LiFe pack. 19 volts, much, much less weight, no switch needed. Easy to mount in a box/holder attached to the starter - no cords. Charges faster. And can still pump lots of amps if needed for the big engines.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Aeatkins73

Default Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by feihu-RCU View Post
Bike:

Here is a quick sketch of how to wire a 3 position switch for your purpose. You can use a 2 position switch by eliminating the Off position.

feihu
I appreciate it. I want to eliminate the gear shift on the build Iím doing for my special needs son. It started out as a John Deere Gator XUV but it isnít anything like that now. Iím almost done with the paint work and getting all the lights in place and wired. I will also be adding a radio control unit to it as well. I will have to go with a heavier duty actuator because I have pneumatic tires that I will be putting on it as well. I will run another rocker switch for the forward and reverse. I really appreciate all the help
Old 01-03-2020, 08:43 AM
Aeatkins73

Default Agreed

I do have a small extinguisher that will be perfect for this build. Also for all the lighting I have added and extra voltage I have I will be running relays as well. Thanks again