Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how to seal this area where the monocote is open

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how to seal this area where the monocote is open

Old 12-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Joe123s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to seal this area where the monocote is open

where the pushrod come out of the monocote. how do i seal that area off? and tricks to it? what should i use? thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12355.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	85326  
Old 12-26-2003, 04:16 PM
LearjetMech

Default RE: how to seal this area where the monocote is open

How about some pushrod exit fairings!! Dont think you can really seal that off. I could be wrong though!
Old 12-26-2003, 04:30 PM
LenLee
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Joe. What I usually due for this type of covering job is to take the sheet of monokote I plan to cover the wing with and lay it over the wing and see where the pushrod wants to poke through. Then I make a small hole in the covering in that spot so that the pushrod will fit through the hole and let the monokote lay flat against the wing. I'll then begin pulling and tacking down around all the outside edges of the wing with my heating iron and then use my heat gun to get the monokote nice and tight on the wing. Once that's done, I take my trim iron and use it to carefully adhere the monokote around the opening where the pushrod comes through. Then I carefully trim the monokote out of the opening, leaving just enough extra around the inside edge to so I can heat and seal it along the inside edge of the opening so that none of the bare wood is showing. Basically what you will need is a sealing iron, a trim iron, and a heat gun. If you've never used monokote before or covered a plane before, it would be a pretty good idea to check out some of the other threads on this site that discuss how to do this. There's a lot of great info out there on the site! Good Luck!! Len
Old 12-26-2003, 04:45 PM
TerrellFlyer

The easy way is to cover over the cut out them cut the covering from the opening.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Joe123s

thanks. that exactly what i did. i thought that it should be a tight fit around the pushrod but like you said i will do that. its almost all covered so im happy. thanks again
Old 12-26-2003, 06:57 PM
LenLee
My Feedback: (1)

That's great Joe! Glad to hear it's going well. TerrellFlyer's recommendation is also a good one if your able to remove the pushrod first. The difficult ones are when you can't remove the rod before covering, like on a Cub wing that I did recently that had a rod connected to a bellcrank. Another difficult spot can be around the places where a strut mount on a biplane is sticking up. The important part is to just go slow and pre-fit everything before starting to attach the covering.

Len
Old 12-27-2003, 08:43 AM
CafeenMan

I use a soldering iron to cut openings. If you use a knife it's likely you'll have little cuts that make it easier for the monokote to tear later. The iron leaves a slight molten "lip" that will help prevent tears. Keep a wet sponge handy to clean off the tip frequently.