Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

"Re-Hinging" ?'s

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

"Re-Hinging" ?'s

Old 12-26-2003, 04:13 PM
LearjetMech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Re-Hinging" ?'s

Ok peeps,
First of all I must say that the Great Plane hinge slotter is a primo piece of equipment. A serious "must have" if you build. Anyway, I'm in the process of adding a new elevator to a project. Instead of replacing wood in the stab, I was wondering if I can use four hinges instead of the original three. Main question is, Do I need a hinge where the control horn hooks up (center), or can I do it like the crappy picture I drew. I have filled the old slots with balsa dust and thin CA. Give me some opinions. Thanks in advance!!

Nikolaus
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50247.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	85328  
Old 12-26-2003, 04:49 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default RE: "Re-Hinging" ?'s

Use as many hinges as you wish,but not less than the plans call for,yes your drawing is fine,the way you want to hinge will work fine.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:02 PM
rwh

Sure, you're all set.

That's a fine way to do it, and two of the hinges are close to center which will provide plenty of support for the control horn.

What kind of plane has a control horn in the center of the elevator?
Old 12-26-2003, 05:17 PM
LearjetMech

As far as I know most trainers do, My Alpha does! This is an old Royal 40T a neighbor gave to me in complete turmoil. It has never been flown, but had plenty of scars on it. Almost ready to cover the fuse and tail. Got the engine rebuilt, and have to do some wing rib repair ind put on som new ailerons. Looks like the wing saddle is crooked too so I'll have to think about that one!!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks like a great fix.

Hey Terrell, where'd that nice Avatar go?
Old 12-26-2003, 06:33 PM
TerrellFlyer

Evening LearjetMech, last year a guy came by our flying field to sell a 11 year old 40T, it had set in his attic all those years still in the box with a Royal engine. I bought it ,put it together flew about 12 tanks of fuel thru it then a newbee bought it. plane flew a lot like the Goldberg Eagle or GP PT 40,very nice flying plane. Control horn in center,Sig,most others off set.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:48 PM
LearjetMech

Yea I got the Royal .46 that came with it too. Beotch to find parts for it. Some current engines parts fit it, some dont!! I think this version I have was an ARF though. Stick on covering, weak glue, weak ribs, etc... I have gone through and reinforced several things, and replaced some fuel soaked sheeting on the fuse. New vertical stab and rudder. New horizontal center wood and elevator. Have to sister some ribs in wing and replace ailerons. Radio he gave me (no TX yet) is an Airtronics. Cant get anything to work. Might just buy a JR comp. flight pack and use my spare Quattro TX. Plan on training my boss! Thanks for the help tonight!
Old 12-26-2003, 06:57 PM
TerrellFlyer

10-4 on the arf and sticky covering,the .46 ran great and strong,the ARF I got have never been assembled or engine started so I had a easier time than you.